Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

AFLw

melbcityguy

Replies
Not sure where to post this.

It's interesting AFLw is currently going through a crisis where the ratings and attendance is shrinking.

I don't want to hate on the competition. It's interesting just interesting how women sport struggle to stand on their own feet besides a few tournaments

People generally want to see the best athletes do sport which is no surprise. That doesn’t diminish their achievements, they are just built differently to men. Hopefully it can grow as people appreciate it for what it is

I dont think it is ALL women's sport... Tennis for example, or swimming or athletics get pretty much equal (or near enough too as to not matter) viewing as their male counterparts.. It seems to be physical team sports that don't seem to be as popular with the blokes ... maybe its the whole women are the fairer sex and should be protected from direct violence sort of thing?

I can't stand the pedestal the AFL puts it on. They make out like the players are warriors. The skill level is incredibly low and they barely score points.

I dont think it is ALL women's sport... Tennis for example, or swimming or athletics get pretty much equal (or near enough too as to not matter) viewing as their male counterparts.. It seems to be physical team sports that don't seem to be as popular with the blokes ... maybe its the whole women are the fairer sex and should be protected from direct violence sort of thing?
Probably also a late adopter thing.

Swimming at the Olympics came in for women in 1912.
Athletics in 1928.
Tennis' first Female Grand Slam tournament was 1883 Wimbledon.

Compare that to team sports "World Cups":
Football (if we're counting the Mundalito's, etc) didn't start a world championship until 1970. 1991 if you don't count the precursors.
Cricket 1973
Field Hockey 1974
Rugby Union 1991
Rugby League 2000

I can't stand the pedestal the AFL puts it on. They make out like the players are warriors. The skill level is incredibly low and they barely score points.
Interesting well. Back in the day it used to be about the biff people just liked melees and bumps pretty much. The 2000s you had a lot of magic moments I think kicking a snap for example is skillfully like kicking a volley in football

These days it's all about fitness so maybe it's less skillful but they are very fit blokes

Interesting well. Back in the day it used to be about the biff people just liked melees and bumps pretty much. The 2000s you had a lot of magic moments I think kicking a snap for example is skillfully like kicking a volley in football

These days it's all about fitness so maybe it's less skillful but they are very fit blokes
I think JS is more comparing the skill level of the women's game to the men's one mate. I agree with you that some of the techniques involved are fairly skill full however if any joe blow athlete from a rival sport that has never played the game can just waltz in and be playing at a pro level in a few weeks it can't be that hard.....

I think JS is more comparing the skill level of the women's game to the men's one mate. I agree with you that some of the techniques involved are fairly skill full however if any joe blow athlete from a rival sport that has never played the game can just waltz in and be playing at a pro level in a few weeks it can't be that hard.....
I can't argue your last point

I can't argue your last point
It is certainly geared towards athleticism alot more than the beautiful game is... All the mythology around AFL is to do with physical strength and mental toughness... the brave mark, the courage of playing with broken ribs, the heroism of fending off two players with just a shrug of the forearm... no mention of sublime footwork :)

I was an AFLW fan. But they lost me with all the draft and trade handouts that benefit some clubs and harm others.

Just the same as the men's, it's all made up on the spot. It's never an even playing field, so what's the point of keeping score? People celebrating premierships, but their players come from some arbitrary academy zone, or more fertile father's, or cost of living allowances etc. It's a damn mess and full of shit.

Again, like cricket, the 90s were the best for AFL.

For me it's ore how they think they have a new national product everyone will want to throw their money at when the product itself isn't that good. The same goes for women's rugby league. It'll get better and both codes have an absolute fear of how big the Matildas are. It's not even about them being women. Our swimmers among other sports have been world class for years and that's what I'll tip my hat off to. Not some insular sport claiming to be the gold standard. The Jillaroos beat PNG 88:0 on the weekend and the NRL socials are posting like it was some massive event with millions watching.

For me it's ore how they think they have a new national product everyone will want to throw their money at when the product itself isn't that good. The same goes for women's rugby league. It'll get better and both codes have an absolute fear of how big the Matildas are. It's not even about them being women. Our swimmers among other sports have been world class for years and that's what I'll tip my hat off to. Not some insular sport claiming to be the gold standard. The Jillaroos beat PNG 88:0 on the weekend and the NRL socials are posting like it was some massive event with millions watching.
Not trying to be contrary but the AFLW clubs ARE the absolutely pinnacle of the sport in the whole world.... :P Even if it is taken up by another country, the AFLW has a generational head start, if not multi generational head start, over every single pother possible playing group... I agree it is garbage but it is Tru Blue Dinky Di garbage and that counts for something, at least down here in AFListan...

Pretty sure that's the rationale the AFL used to invent women's sport actually.

The quality of womans football v AFLw is chalk and cheese. AFLw with a lot of catching up to do. The early games were horrible but its gotten better, still bad though. The expanded too hard too early and diluted the quality.

Not sure where to post this.

It's interesting AFLw is currently going through a crisis where the ratings and attendance is shrinking.

I don't want to hate on the competition. It's interesting just interesting how women sport struggle to stand on their own feet besides a few tournaments

I didn't follow it closely but the scheduling was ridiculous and a real stuff up. Played a big part.

The AFLW is horrible. I struggle to watch 2 minutes of it.

The AFL are usually pretty successful at throwing large sums of money at things to make them work but I don’t even think they can do that with the AFLW.

Not trying to be contrary but the AFLW clubs ARE the absolutely pinnacle of the sport in the whole world.... :P Even if it is taken up by another country, the AFLW has a generational head start, if not multi generational head start, over every single pother possible playing group... I agree it is garbage but it is Tru Blue Dinky Di garbage and that counts for something, at least down here in AFListan...
Ha I'd considered that when thinking about my arguments. The AFL would retort with 'best in the world.'

The language though 'this has been generations in the making' 'skilfully ahead of other sports in the women's game'

If games ended 108:94 I'd agree but they can hardly mark or kick it between the posts.

If it benefits society and gets people together, active and provides job then fine but you can see their rustling towards the Matildas.

Back