Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Auckland FC

Hope they really go well.

Here's hoping that having 2 successful professional football sides in the A-League would be the catalyst for NZ Football to move to the AFC.

Hope they really go well.

Here's hoping that having 2 successful professional football sides in the A-League would be the catalyst for NZ Football to move to the AFC.
Why would they want to move to AFC? They've got a way better deal now. OFC have a direct spot into the WC now. NZ are the highest ranked nation in OFC and outrank the next best nation by 49 ranks. That direct WC spot is pretty much theirs. Then if the Club World Cup becomes a regular thing, then it's almost guaranteed one of their clubs gets €50m (AU$81m) every 4 years as it's almost certain a NZ club will qualify.

Why would they want to move to AFC? They've got a way better deal now. OFC have a direct spot into the WC now. NZ are the highest ranked nation in OFC and outrank the next best nation by 49 ranks. That direct WC spot is pretty much theirs. Then if the Club World Cup becomes a regular thing, then it's almost guaranteed one of their clubs gets €50m (AU$81m) every 4 years as it's almost certain a NZ club will qualify.
I don't know, I get the financial perspective. But personally I struggle to grasp the mentality of staying in the OFC for an automatic WC qualifying spot for 2 games every 4 years. In between that, the only games that matter, you're playing Pacific minnows. I mean, NZ are never going to win the WC, but they may hypothetically one day have a side that could deep in an Asian Cup.

I'll admit ignorance of the changes to the Club World Cup. So that's news to me. I was working on the understanding that the prizemoney remained comparable to the previous iterations.

I don't know, I get the financial perspective. But personally I struggle to grasp the mentality of staying in the OFC for an automatic WC qualifying spot for 2 games every 4 years. In between that, the only games that matter, you're playing Pacific minnows. I mean, NZ are never going to win the WC, but they may hypothetically one day have a side that could deep in an Asian Cup.

I'll admit ignorance of the changes to the Club World Cup. So that's news to me. I was working on the understanding that the prizemoney remained comparable to the previous iterations.
Format change will still see 3x group games - but guaranteed qualifying is better than being another also ran for them. That doesn't mean they won't be competitve either - Australia was still part of OFC for 2006, and until recently, was our best World Cup performance.

You're also assuming there it is actually an option for them to join AFC. Asia didn't want us joining let alone the kiwis.
Most nations are never going to win the WC. Portugal, Netherlands and Croatia have never won a world cup. Doesn't mean it's any less important for them.
Auckland City FC will receive a minimum of €50m to compete in the Club World Cup next year. To put that into perspective, that is about double the combined player salaries of all A-League clubs this season.

8535ps4swrvd1.jpeg

They seem quite fearless, even if their spelling is a little off.

Last edited:
Back