Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Canberra fc

Ange's high line

Replies
If this proposed new team is to go into the Epl....I mean A League, then an announcement would be made in Dec or Jan I would expect. This means the 'Caggiano Consortium' would take charge of the women's team as well.

I wish they would drop license fees and just have conditions on infrastructure (free gold star academy and boutique stadium if possible) then open it up to put a club anywhere

I hope the APL have a backup plan if Canberra can't pull their finger out. We were meant to get another two expansions next season, but it's all been held up by Canberra and probably the lower distributions.

I think Tassie would be next in line.

I hope the APL have a backup plan if Canberra can't pull their finger out. We were meant to get another two expansions next season, but it's all been held up by Canberra and probably the lower distributions.

I think Tassie would be next in line.
I wonder if it supresses the cost committing to a particular location? If you just seel the next liscence the highest bidder you can just keep going. The money earnt from licences absorbs the blow of any franchises being poor crowds and you can move towards having 2 a leagues with p and r between them

Canberra FC will be competing in the NPL next season.

Despite Canberra being announced as the next expansion side in the A-League, there has always been an issue that we're seen as the uninvited cousin. Apparently there were some quality backers for last time round (when Western Utd and Macarthur were added), but the APL/FA (I can't remember who was in charge of that expansion round) wanted to shop the owners out to buy existing clubs that needed an owner, or ask them to back in Sydney/Melbourne instead.

Now, it's a battle with the ACT government to:
a) get a redeveloped stadium to house the A-League side (given the extra 12-13 games that this will bring in the summer to an otherwise unused stadium) and,
b) get comparable government support to the other football codes (particularly the ones that Arrogant Barr would rather have involved in Canberra).

Just got back from a 2 day trip to Canberra. Spent time at ANU campus and dinner/drinks in the arvo at Canberra Centre and I didn't see ANY Aleague merch or advertising anywhere.

Compared to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide that I have visited this year there weren't a hell of a lot of ANY football jerseys to be honest, although the variety was interesting I saw:

Liverpool
Bayern Munich
Wolves
Portugal national
Barcelona
Inter Miami -- it was a little kid wearing the full kit and thongs :)

Just got back from a 2 day trip to Canberra. Spent time at ANU campus and dinner/drinks in the arvo at Canberra Centre and I didn't see ANY Aleague merch or advertising anywhere.

Compared to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide that I have visited this year there weren't a hell of a lot of ANY football jerseys to be honest, although the variety was interesting I saw:

Liverpool
Bayern Munich
Wolves
Portugal national
Barcelona
Inter Miami -- it was a little kid wearing the full kit and thongs :)
I do see some weird jerseys in town sometimes, including the Miami one. Saw a teenager in a Morocco jersey the other day in Woden.

Sometimes it's me with the 'out there' jerseys - one of my go-to's that people tend to actually stop me in Canberra, is a 2005 Socceroos Away shirt with Bresciano on the back.

They did recently move Rebel in the Canberra Centre, and it does have an expanded football range in comparison to the tiny little store it had before - but I haven't been since off-season when Euros was all the rage, so unsure if they have anything A-League there.

I do see some weird jerseys in town sometimes, including the Miami one. Saw a teenager in a Morocco jersey the other day in Woden.

Sometimes it's me with the 'out there' jerseys - one of my go-to's that people tend to actually stop me in Canberra, is a 2005 Socceroos Away shirt with Bresciano on the back.

They did recently move Rebel in the Canberra Centre, and it does have an expanded football range in comparison to the tiny little store it had before - but I haven't been since off-season when Euros was all the rage, so unsure if they have anything A-League there.
I didnt check mate, hung around outside at that lovely Italian woodfire pizza place and then went around the corner for some drinks... Canberra turned on the weather for me though, got back to Melbourne last night and its freezing down here :)

I didnt check mate, hung around outside at that lovely Italian woodfire pizza place and then went around the corner for some drinks... Canberra turned on the weather for me though, got back to Melbourne last night and its freezing down here :)
Is that the one on the corner with the ice-cream and sweets? Or did another one open up?
Pizza-wize - still nothing on anything I've had in Griffith...

Back