Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Socceroos Best XI Thread

Quicky

Replies
A thread to post your Socceroos best XI. All ideas welcome from the serious to the experimental.

This is what i'd like to see v Saudi with likely available players:

Silvera - Yengi - Irankunda
McGree - Robertson
Luongo
Bos - Rowles - Souttar - Geria
Gauci

Goodwin suspended next game. Gauci has secured the number one v Ryan. Geria fantastic and may solve yhe unsolvable RB problem. I think we can be more progressive in midfield.

Against superior teams I want speed and defence

---------------------------Gauci-----------------------------
---------Triantis-----Souttar----Circati----------------
-Metcalf----Luongo-----Irvine------Bos------------
-----------Mcgree-----Duke-----Irankunda----------

Against weaker teams I want to emhasize technique

------------------------Gauci---------------------------
----------------Circati-Souttar-Farrell---------
-Metcalf-----Robbo--Luongo--------Bos---
-------------Mcgree-Toure--Volpato---------

I'm different with best elevens.

Grazor has seen the Socceroos play quite a few games forn 2005 - 2014. I have not seen Socceroo replays in this era, but have seen heaps of games prior to 2005 back as far as 1991, on his Socceroo replay thread in Inside Sport.

Im not trying to be controversial, but I think the Socceroos as a team unit, even in the GG are overrated. Many of them in the media have massive egos, and talk up their own epoch. Some of them have not grasped how the game has changed, because they haven't acquired the new coach education.

Contrast to Ten's 4 articulate, well-educated in football terms, quieter, former more recent Socceroo pundits- Brosque, Wilkinson, Cornthwaite and Bruce Djite.

They have been coached in a more recent era with far better educated Aus coaches, through FFA and FA acquiring top European coaches to change the curriculum in Aus, is manifest in the insights they present. Of course it is quite different if any of the GG who are now pro coaches appear - Muscat, Aloisi, Ange, Arnie, Popa - appear in the media. These guys have profound football knowledge.

When I've revisited games back to 2004-5 I'm not sure that Neill and Moore are any better, or as good as the Spira/Sains combo in the 2015 Asian Cup? Neill was a ball player and ball winner, but Moore was essentially a ball winner. Spira and Sains were both. The latter day Socceroos could play out on either side. The GGs needed to play out through Neill.

I've seen a lot of runs lacking the opening of optimum passing lanes from Emo at RW and Neill as RB when the team had the ball. Even if they were playing EPL .

The latter Socceroos on average have very high game sense and intelligence and better tactical understanding of football. Despite their flaws, Irvine, Goodwin, Behich, Duke, and the recently retired Mooy, plus Jedi and Milligan, are very, very clever players with immense game sense. McGree and O'Neill have considerable game sense too.

It is only Culina, Bresc, Valeri and Grella, from the GG who compared in game sense from playing in Italy and Netherlands at the time. And Grella gave away some stupid fouls in dangerous positions.

When I've looked at Okon, Zelic and Skoko, they just don't do enough off the ball in breaking up attacks, making intercepts, causing turnovers and working hard enough to be anywhere near good enough to be in the midfield for a best Socceroo eleven. Despite al three being very good technicians on the ball.

Many Aussies in the GG played in England. At the time many were coached by English coaches, who weren't great tacticians like they were on the Continent. English coaches had mediocre coach education then.

Technique has to be acquired at an early age, but tactical understanding can quickly be acquired as senior player. This occurred with Aussie AL players even as early as 2012-13, when the local coaches upgraded the coach education, borrowing from the European powerhouses - France, Spain, Germany, Netherlands.

One surprise in the Socceroo replays, is that Graham Arnold in the 1993 WCQs was a tremendous striker, with a great off the ball work rate, against Argentina. Robbie Slater was a superb winger, who played quality aerial crosses.

From 2006 to 2012, Cahill ( Striker), Kewell (Winger), and Bresc ( AM) are definitely in a best Socceroo eleven. Not sure about their teammates?

Grazor has pointed out that Viduka and McDonald didn't receive many balls into the box, on the ground in their Socceroo tenures. That most balls played to them were aerial, which could account for their low goal output for the Socceroos. At club level, supposedly they received more balls on the ground, which they converted more easily. Then again, why did Aloisi score more prolifically in the same era?

Not being able to have a better look at Grella and Culina from circa 2006 -10, I'm not sure they were better DMs than Mooy and Milligan? Jedi was very disciplined off the ball, but not so good on it.

Last edited:
Sorry!

I thought this was a thread for the best all time Socceroo eleven!

Given Circati is injured for the current team:

...............................Gauci

.......Geria.............Souttar............Rowles

Strain...........O'Neill........Nieuwenhof......... Bos

Arzani...................Duke..................Goodwin

I know Irvine is captain, but he lacks technique on the ball in tight spaces and struggles to play two foot, two touch passing and moving in tight spaces. He can play a one touch pass with good body shape if he has more time than the likes of Brattan, O'Neill,Silvera , Nesbit and McGree need. I know he has a lot other qualities that are really good though.

Arzani - worth a try. Can now defend, and has the best 1v1 skills we have to unlock defences. But Popa has played Villupillay in front of him and knows the players far better and has considerably better insight than me!

My team is short on experience, which is why Duke gets central striker - experience.

Based on what I've seen in two games Geria makes any team ATM!

Strain replaces Miller, because he is more nimble on his feet, whilst Miller was shown up against Japan, but excelled with his aerial power against China.

Nieuw has no cap yet, but I've been very impressed with him in the Aus u 23s. Good ball winner and good ball player.

If Circati is fit he replaces Rowles.

a
Grazor has pointed out that Viduka and McDonald didn't receive many balls into the box, on the ground in their Socceroo tenures. That most balls played to them were aerial, which could account for their low goal output for the Socceroos. At club level, supposedly they received more balls on the ground, which they converted more easily. Then again, why did Aloisi score more prolifically in the same era?

Not being able to have a better look at Grella and Culina from circa 2006 -10, I'm not sure they were better DMs than Mooy and Milligan? Jedi was very disciplined off the ball, but not so good on it.
Rewatching the socceroos games from 97-2014 really changed my mind on players. I became much more critical of sainsbury, he made some incredible mistakes pretty regularly giving up chances, and much more appreciative of viduka and scott mcdonald for the reason you said (what converted me was watching viduka's club games on footballia!) As you say those old roos were incapable of deck balls into the box which found a team mate.
To answer your question on aloisi it was a combination of two factors - 1) aloisi was a bit better in the air for club and country, also better at running with the ball which meant he could make his own drives into the box (viduka did too but was better if he recieved the ball close to players and relied on trickery in tight spaces rather than speed) 2) 13 of aloisi's goals were against oceania minnows. His scoring rate against non oceania opposition is roughly the same as Aloisi

Sorry!

I thought this was a thread for the best all time Socceroo eleven!

Given Circati is injured for the current team:

...............................Gauci

.......Geria.............Souttar............Rowles

Strain...........O'Neill........Nieuwenhof......... Bos

Arzani...................Duke..................Goodwin

I know Irvine is captain, but he lacks technique on the ball in tight spaces and struggles to play two foot, two touch passing and moving in tight spaces. He can play a one touch pass with good body shape if he has more time than the likes of Brattan, O'Neill,Silvera , Nesbit and McGree need. I know he has a lot other qualities that are really good though.

Arzani - worth a try. Can now defend, and has the best 1v1 skills we have to unlock defences. But Popa has played Villupillay in front of him and knows the players far better and has considerably better insight than me!

My team is short on experience, which is why Duke gets central striker - experience.

Based on what I've seen in two games Geria makes any team ATM!

Strain replaces Miller, because he is more nimble on his feet, whilst Miller was shown up against Japan, but excelled with his aerial power against China.

Nieuw has no cap yet, but I've been very impressed with him in the Aus u 23s. Good ball winner and good ball player.

If Circati is fit he replaces Rowles.
Have Strain and nieuw been playing regularly? Farrell needs to come into the squad with behich fazed out. He’s still going ok but no future there. Malik could be worth a try as well . Grattan got his long service reward , now get him out !

This is what i'd like to see v Saudi with likely available players:

Silvera - Yengi - Irankunda
McGree - Robertson
Luongo
Bos - Rowles - Souttar - Geria
Gauci

Goodwin suspended next game. Gauci has secured the number one v Ryan. Geria fantastic and may solve yhe unsolvable RB problem. I think we can be more progressive in midfield.
Robertson's paperwork is not completed correctly. He is still not eligible do uou believe?...

Have Strain and nieuw been playing regularly? Farrell needs to come into the squad with behich fazed out. He’s still going ok but no future there. Malik could be worth a try as well . Grattan got his long service reward , now get him out !
Still think Behich is playing well enough to be in a squad. Very intelligent player. A team needs experienced players to organise others. Inexperienced players have enough to worry about doing their own job and can't think about the roles teammates are playing. Teams need a few experienced players to organise others.

Also, agree about Farrell, Razor. I'm a huge fan! Fantastic prospect. I think he could also play Left CB in a back three.

Not sure about Nieuw and Strain's club scenarios? I think Strain has been injured.

a

Rewatching the socceroos games from 97-2014 really changed my mind on players. I became much more critical of sainsbury, he made some incredible mistakes pretty regularly giving up chances, and much more appreciative of viduka and scott mcdonald for the reason you said (what converted me was watching viduka's club games on footballia!) As you say those old roos were incapable of deck balls into the box which found a team mate.
Sains is an interesting case. He was brilliant around 2015. He played a lot of club football for CCM and then in Eredivisie for two seasons.

When one looks up his club playing record, Sains hardly played any club football for years. I agree he made many horrendous mistakes for the Socceroos. It was a shame we had so little CB depth, Sains kept being selected. Sains was a great player for the Socceroos for a few years - when he played regular club football.

He might have been a very good team man and had leadership qualities. Given how good Sains was at a young age, he should have been a great over an extended career.

Robertson's paperwork is not completed correctly. He is still not eligible do uou believe?...
Who knows. I got the impression it wasn't a big problem so should be by right by the next window. But thats my reading between the lines.

Sometimes it almost feels like we value this perceived toughness, footballers that have 'Aussie DNA', over players that are actual ball players and can skilfully pass the ball with creativity and precision. We'll never dominate even the likes of Japan unless we give in to this limiting fear.

Robertson, Nisbet, Kalik, Nieuwenhof etc I fully support these additions to future squads as surely they have a big role to play in the evolution of our play.

Also from what I've seen Triantis could have a big role to play in the GG.

Sometimes it almost feels like we value this perceived toughness, footballers that have 'Aussie DNA', over players that are actual ball players and can skilfully pass the ball with creativity and precision.
Right so here's the thing.

Yes:

A: we always wanted that rugged tough aussie team

B: Winning mentality. We'll play you on the moon and win, with whatever 11 we have.

It was always measuring ourselves by how well our squad at any moment had both of them

And then comes along Qatar World Cup. Our best performance. Ever. Which we got based on

A: we always wanted that rugged tough aussie team

B: Winning mentality. We'll play you on the moon and win, with whatever 11 we have.

C: A 11 of outright beta males.

I think a lot of people can't really come to terms with that. Arnie's team was purely playing the game in the mind. They ran around like they accidentally put 2 left boots on and somehow pinched better results than the golden generation

Back