Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

The Melbourne Victory Thread

Season 24/25 starts tomorrow night v Mariners. It'll be interesting if Arzani is in the squad.

Season 24/25 starts tomorrow night v Mariners. It'll be interesting if Arzani is in the squad.
Isn't he suspended? I thought that was Kisnorbo's public reasoning for leaving him out of the Australia Cup squad ("because we have to get accustomed to him not being in the team for Round 1" or something like that)

I'm not a Victory fan, and hope there is a round by round AL thread set up soon.

What I'd love to know from Victory fans is, did any of you think Geria, based on his Melb Vic performances would be so good for the Socceroos against really tough opposition- with really high stakes? For mine he is close to our best Socceroo ATM.

I'm gobsmacked!

I watched Vic a lot last season from January when I subscribed to Paramount. When I watched most of the games, I was particularly interested in Teague, Villupillay, Arzani and Valadon, as young potential national team players. I didn't notice the Vic defence, because Vic usually dominated possession.

I'm not a Victory fan, and hope there is a round by round AL thread set up soon.

What I'd love to know from Victory fans is, did any of you think Geria, based on his Melb Vic performances would be so good for the Socceroos against really tough opposition- with really high stakes? For mine he is close to our best Socceroo ATM.

I'm gobsmacked!

I watched Vic a lot last season from January when I subscribed to Paramount. When I watched most of the games, I was particularly interested in Teague, Villupillay, Arzani and Valadon, as young potential national team players. I didn't notice the Vic defence, because Vic usually dominated possession.

Geria has always had it in him but can't say I thought he'd be so dominant.

I only caught from the very end of the first half v Central Coast bc I was looking after my little man.

The missed penalty from Fornaroli was frustrating after being so dominant.

The red card to Miranda killed us. We fell apart after that and were lucky to escape with a draw.

Do I think he should have been selected for the Socceroos earlier? Yes. Do I think he would perform this well? No.

Also, while he has been played mainly as a RB in the AL, I have always felt CB was more of a natural position for him. He did play there as a youth player, but it was Ange that turned him into a RB.

Under PK this season, we play with a back 4 when we don't have the ball, but we revert to a back 3 when we have the ball. Kesey Bos turns into a winger and Geria into the right sided CB. I think Popa has taken note of this.

I only caught from the very end of the first half v Central Coast bc I was looking after my little man.

The missed penalty from Fornaroli was frustrating after being so dominant.

The red card to Miranda killed us. We fell apart after that and were lucky to escape with a draw.

I thought it was a typical Vuck performance. Dominate. but didn't take our chances. the only difference is that we didn't concede a late sucker punch.

The club is in a strong position off and on the park this year. We need to do well. I am not sold on kisnorbo though....will give him the benefit of the doubt. We looked a lot better than CCM until the red the other day

The club is in a strong position off and on the park this year. We need to do well. I am not sold on kisnorbo though....will give him the benefit of the doubt. We looked a lot better than CCM until the red the other day
I reckon you can put a lot of the issues last week down to the conditions. Both sides struggled to produce. This weekend will be the big test. Gonna be very interesting to see whether he starts Arzani or not. Even more interesting if PK drops Arzani completely. That alone will tell us everything we need to know about how this season will pan out for PK.

Yeah Arzani suspended, won't play round 1
I reckon you can put a lot of the issues last week down to the conditions. Both sides struggled to produce. This weekend will be the big test. Gonna be very interesting to see whether he starts Arzani or not. Even more interesting if PK drops Arzani completely. That alone will tell us everything we need to know about how this season will pan out for PK.
Yep. If Kisnorbo thinks it’s good for MV to not include a current Socceroo in AL games then the bald mug has serious problems as a coach

Aren't we in $15 m debt?

Interesting season for Victory off the park coming up, will the 5/6k extras who used to show up come back this season? Covid/bucket incident seems to have cost the club some attendees

I don't mind the style of football under Kisnorbo. He can clearly coach. But falling out with players is a worry. You need to be able to manage different personalities.

Squad for the derby:

Melbourne Victory squad: 2. Jason GERIA, 3. Adama TRAORE, 5. Brendan HAMILL, 6. Ryan TEAGUE, 7. Daniel ARZANI, 8. Zinedine MACHACH, 9. Nikolaos VERGOS, 10. Bruno FORNAROLI, 11. Clerismario SANTOS RODRIGUES, 14. Jordi VALADON, 16. Joshua INSERRA, 17. Nishan VELUPILLAY, 18. Fabian MONGE, 19. Jing REEC, 22. Joshua RAWLINS, 25. Jack DUNCAN, 26. Luka KOLIC, 27. Reno PISCOPO, 28. Kasey BOS, 30. Daniel GRASKOSKI

(Two to be omitted)

Ins: 7. Daniel ARZANI (return from suspension), 16. Joshua INSERRA (promoted), 26. Luka KOLIC (promoted)

Outs: 21. Roderick MIRANDA (suspension)

Interesting season for Victory off the park coming up, will the 5/6k extras who used to show up come back this season? Covid/bucket incident seems to have cost the club some attendees

It wasn't the Bucket Incident that cost attendees. It was Victory management selling us out as part of the fallout from this incident.

But 2 years have now passed and its time to return to the terrace. Membership is at around 20,000, which is tracking about the same as last season... so perhaps that's a bit of an indicator.

It wasn't the Bucket Incident that cost attendees. It was Victory management selling us out as part of the fallout from this incident.

But 2 years have now passed and its time to return to the terrace. Membership is at around 20,000, which is tracking about the same as last season... so perhaps that's a bit of an indicator.
Yes you're right that played a part also, but still think some families may not come back due to the incident itself and go elsewhere (eg. NBL regularly selling out in Melb)

Back