Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

The Western United Thread

Blackout

Replies
I'll start this thread as there's no real online forum for Western United that I can see. Even if it ends being me having a discussion with myself, I'll endeavour to get this thread up and running. After watching Dad's Army the last few years, I'm really looking forward to seeing the academy kids running around, even if we do end up toward the foot of the table.

Hopefully having an actual home ground is going to be a game changer. Both myself and the people I dragged along really enjoyed the games toward the back end of last season, it definitely had a different feel when you're at "home".

Well, the ground is at least as much owned by Western United as Lakeside is owned by South Melbourne.
He's talking about the actual 15k stadium, not Ironbark Fields.
Ironbark Fields is 100% owned by the council. WU are a tenant.
The shovel-ready 6 years ago 15k stadium, which apparently is still part of the plan has had next to zero progress. They did finally announce a builder earlier this year, but that's about it. No tangible progress.

He's talking about the actual 15k stadium, not Ironbark Fields.
Ironbark Fields is 100% owned by the council. WU are a tenant.
The shovel-ready 6 years ago 15k stadium, which apparently is still part of the plan has had next to zero progress. They did finally announce a builder earlier this year, but that's about it. No tangible progress.
I think the previous message was an attempt at whataboutism

They definitely went about it the wrong way, by trying to oversell the "shovel-ready" stuff when it clearly wasn't. No argument there.

But I don't know about no tangible progress. I tried to post some hi-res aerial imagery of the site of the site from last week (but it was too big to upload). You can see things lining up nicely against the precinct structure plan for the site.

They definitely went about it the wrong way, by trying to oversell the "shovel-ready" stuff when it clearly wasn't. No argument there.

But I don't know about no tangible progress. I tried to post some hi-res aerial imagery of the site of the site from last week (but it was too big to upload). You can see things lining up nicely against the precinct structure plan for the site.
Youd expect a building permit by November 2024 at the very least after being ready to go in November 2018? I know some councils are slow but ......... ?

Well, the ground is at least as much owned by Western United as Lakeside is owned by South Melbourne.
So 0% privately owned.... awesome, Now if only the WU guys can shut up about having the only privately owned football stadium in Australia a few people might actually begin to beleive they are a footbal club and not a dodgy real estate scam :)

Youd expect a building permit by November 2024 at the very least after being ready to go in November 2018? I know some councils are slow but ......... ?
You're conflating the stadium itself with the broader precinct, which always included the training facilities and requires infrastructure to be brought into the stadium site via earlier stages. But having said that, I'm entirely sure you're well aware of this.

Honestly, the constant stadium pot shots bore me, I understand the animosity from the old NSL faithful, but it's not coming back.

You're conflating the stadium itself with the broader precinct, which always included the training facilities and requires infrastructure to be brought into the stadium site via earlier stages. But having said that, I'm entirely sure you're well aware of this.

Honestly, the constant stadium pot shots bore me, I understand the animosity from the old NSL faithful, but it's not coming back.
Nobody is conflating anything. We are talking about a proposed stadium that up until a few months ago didn't even have a builder. I hope this thing gets built. The more football infrastructure in Victoria the better. However, my prediction is that all of the residential and commercial buildings get built first and the stadium is way way way down the track. Don't get me wrong, that is absolutely the correct way of doing things, it's just that is not what WMG said they would do. Their message was always privately owned stadium first.

Nobody is conflating anything. We are talking about a proposed stadium that up until a few months ago didn't even have a builder. I hope this thing gets built. The more football infrastructure in Victoria the better. However, my prediction is that all of the residential and commercial buildings get built first and the stadium is way way way down the track. Don't get me wrong, that is absolutely the correct way of doing things, it's just that is not what WMG said they would do. Their message was always privately owned stadium first.
If your issue is with timing and what was promised. I've already conceded that point (refer to post #6).

I'm comfortable that there's enough skin in the game that it'll happen. In the meantime, the progression to now having a home base represents progress from a team that 12 months ago was homeless.

You can be bored all you like dude... NSL died 20 years ago and good riddance... I know it must be tough understanding how a football club works beyond a league when all you know is franchising but your flamboyant saviours of Western Suburbs football shat on everything around them and now, 6 years down the track STILL havent forked out a single red cent.... There are axes to grind and shady deals to uncover and one, day, maybe not for a very long time, the signatures of land deals will be dragged out onto the light of day.... or maybe they wont.

I feel sorry for you guys that are connected to this through nothing but a marketing slogan and a promise of a representative club for your area "Youve gotta have a team" right? So ill try not to shit on your franchise so much anymore.. Go well, enjoy the football.

Back