Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Match stats/analysis for recent Socceroo games

I think for a lot of gg games 2 would have been the norm for effective deck balls into the box!

Thats not to say that we are better, but that was an extraordinary weekness in their play which nullified our best player in viduka and later nullified poor scotty mac

It makes me think it was a coaching issue. Those players were capable of better.

This is exactly why I want a formation change and different midfield balance vs weaker teams or when we play at home.

I think an extra midfielder would help. I think a technical no. 8 like Robertson helps address that. Nisbet too. We also have options for technical no. 6's in Luongo, O'Neill, Balard and when fit Nieuwenhof.

There is opportunity to improve and to address those issues.

I'm quite happy with Popa's formation ATM.

Not sure of you ever saw Ricky Herbert coach Nix? When he was in the dressing room he used cones/vests to lay out the formations to Nix players. I used to use at any level too, even experienced seniors. It was a coaching device I picked up from the Dutch KNVB.

I'm not sure what a poster's prior knowledge is, but I can lay out the exact manifestations of Popa's 3-4-3, 5-2-3 and 5-4-1 in Ball Possession and Ball Possession Opposition, Quicky. I can use X and ....... to depict the tangible shapes.

Popa's core formation is a 3-4-3- flat midfield manifestation. The 3-4-3 can also take the form of a midfield diamond.

It might have thrown Japan a bit, as Arnie tended to use a 4-4-2 flat midfield in BPO. Then a 4-3-3 defensive midfield triangle in the defensive half in the back of the pitch, evolving to an attacking 4-3-3 midfield triangle as the build up progressed into the attacking half. Irvine changed position from left Def Mid, to a left Attacking Mid. He is a clever player at changing roles in the rotating midfield triangle. Japan possibly planned for the expected Arnie tactics, which helped our cause.

In probably more sophisticated football media than we tend to have in Aus, the Peruvian coach, whose name I've forgotten, said he was all at sea coaching against it for the first half of the match. I read this in the Peruvian English language media.

Observations of Australia on the ball.

1:05: A better awareness system where Hrustic knows a good midfielder will always be just behind can see a back pass and a good left side ball to two gold shirts against one defender there. Soft pass intercepted.

2:47: Heavy McGree first touch in transition and ball is lost.

5:50. Hrustic fouled but if he goes that bit quicker he can pass 35m across in behind to Bos.

8:07: Irvine with heavy touch and bad pass to Duke who is swarmed. Time and vision can go left to McGree and Bos.

10:01. Best option by Irvine into the channel to Duke. Much swifter forward which was better. Bos trailed behind and slowed. Following through and letting Duke know he was there would've been better.

11:02: Ball at head height but Hrustic just needs to control it downwards and a quick left has Irvine and McGree in acres of space. Heads onwards to Duke who heads onwards to them.

11:40. Quick short passes but nothing forward and Miller tackled for throw.

15:23: Brattan's best play with over the top ball. McGree runs diagonally and Hrustic runs away from him. Ball to Miller who plays it into wide space but no one there. Hrustic metres away and needed to just walk into that big space and the play continues. Duke and Irvine overshoot and aren't options.

22:16: Nice anticipation and press by everyone for Bos to intercept. Needs to try and pass it inside as we have many players waiting there.

29:49. The Bos run. Good attempt to break through. A pass across left to Hrustic or better movement by McGree could have seen something.

33:58. Ueda is onside as he almost latches onto a wayward shot.

41:19: Bos starts the risky diagonal run across goal. Ball lost but without a heavy touch and midfield support, Miller was way up so there was good awareness there.

We turned the ball over in some risky areas. Japan interestingly overhit it, had a heavy touched or stumbled into touch. It wasn't their day in an execution sense to set up potential chance making plays.

48:10: Good movement by Australia. Yazbek with patient pivots. 35 sec of promising play ruined by an Irvine sky ball.

57:20: Australia goal came from another keeper kick to no where. Geria heads down and some good quick play. It's evident our chances or space always come in transitional moments

67:03: We held the ball for a full 90 seconds and that was where the loose balls were fought hard for and it looked like something not seen in ages.

Japan goal. Can't say Miller was fouled. Feet on man completely still. Miller stupidly just ran into him. Yazbek completely outdone and in hindsight just needed to draw foul on edge of box by going right in. One angle shows it actually beats Gauci. What a shame as the ball basically is at Gauci's hand and forearm height. Just too swift and timed and Burgess could afford to just let it go as Ueda would score. A shame it didn't scuff his shin or knee. Miller and Yazbek had to foul there. Interesting also to see there wasn't any pass lane so a Geria charge probably blocks it too. 2 others in 6 yard box and Behich also stupidly ran to post leaving Ueda free. Definitely something to review.

76:23: Get ball down their end but too casual by Hrustic again and others. No urgency or movement.

In added time we still tempted them by not covering the right areas or trying to hold the ball. It's hard to hold it but we kept inviting them to have one last go.

Great work!

A lot of detail there!

There were a few, not enough, good rapid fire passing and moving sequences amongst Brattan, McGree and Hrustic, when I watched the replay, but it just didn't occur often enough.

Live, I thought Brattan was poor. He chased too much ball, as he is a better player on it than breaking up attacks. During the replay, what he did display, impressively, was fast feet and fast handling speed a few times. He just didn't disturb build ups enough though when Japan had the ball.

Great work!

A lot of detail there!

There were a few, not enough, good rapid fire passing and moving sequences amongst Brattan, McGree and Hrustic, when I watched the replay, but it just didn't occur often enough.

Live, I thought Brattan was poor. He chased too much ball, as he is a better player on it than breaking up attacks. During the replay, what he did display, impressively, was fast feet and fast handling speed a few times. He just didn't disturb build ups enough though when Japan had the ball.
he got rid of the ball forwards so quickly that on first viewing i didn't realize to credit him with the move
Yazbek was very calm and composed in traffic, but that was easier to spot live because he had several touches before passing

This is exactly why I want a formation change and different midfield balance vs weaker teams or when we play at home.

I think an extra midfielder would help. I think a technical no. 8 like Robertson helps address that. Nisbet too. We also have options for technical no. 6's in Luongo, O'Neill, Balard and when fit Nieuwenhof.

There is opportunity to improve and to address those issues.

From what I've seen of the Aus U23s coming through, with the technical qualities of attacking midfielders Jake Hollman, Valadon, Segecic, the even younger Rhys Youlley, Kegan Jelacic (who have I missed?), I'm not particularly worried about Robertson. Although in the very limited minutes I've seen him for the Socceroos, Robertson looked to be a class player.

I'm already seeing a generation of players with better technical qualities than any previous Aussies ( Arnie said this too). In terms of first touch, handling speed, running with the ball and dribbling with the head up, ability to play rapidfire passing and moving sequences in tight spaces, these young attacking midfielders have the goods.

As a DM, I've liked the look of Nieuwenhof for the Young Socceroos too.

Last edited:

Not sure of you ever saw Ricky Herbert coach Nix? When he was in the dressing room he used cones/vests to lay out the formations to Nix players. I used to use at any level too, even experienced seniors. It was a coaching device I picked up from the Dutch KNVB.

I'm not sure what a poster's prior knowledge is, but I can lay out the exact manifestations of Popa's 3-4-3, 5-2-3 and 5-4-1 in Ball Possession and Ball Possession Opposition, Quicky. I can use X and ....... to depict the tangible shapes.

Popa's core formation is a 3-4-3- flat midfield manifestation. The 3-4-3 can also take the form of a midfield diamond.

It might have thrown Japan a bit, as Arnie tended to use a 4-4-2 flat midfield in BPO. Then a 4-3-3 defensive midfield triangle in the defensive half in the back of the pitch, evolving to an attacking 4-3-3 midfield triangle as the build up progressed into the attacking half. Irvine changed position from left Def Mid, to a left Attacking Mid. He is a clever player at changing roles in the rotating midfield triangle. Japan possibly planned for the expected Arnie tactics, which helped our cause.

In probably more sophisticated football media than we tend to have in Aus, the Peruvian coach, whose name I've forgotten, said he was all at sea coaching against it for the first half of the match. I read this in the Peruvian English language media.

The 5-2-3 was a pragmatic approach to a dominant Japan and I have no issues with it in that context. It was good coaching. I just don't want it to be our norm.

That midfield four was Bos, Irvine, Brattan and Miller which you can't expect to create much. Even if that formation were retained we can do better with team selection, though I favour a back four and extra midfielder.

he got rid of the ball forwards so quickly that on first viewing i didn't realize to credit him with the move
Yazbek was very calm and composed in traffic, but that was easier to spot live because he had several touches before passing

The game had slowed down a bit, when Yazbek came on. Japan wasn't Squeezing as intensively. Yazbek often had a lot more time and space than Brattan on the ball, but was also more mobile in defending when they had the ball.

Yazbek was pretty tidy on the ball though. He also opened diagonal passing lanes to teammates a bit better than Brattan too, giving the player on the ball, a better target to play forwards by opening the integral diagonal passing lanes.

The 5-2-3 was a pragmatic approach to a dominant Japan and I have no issues with it in that context. It was good coaching. I just don't want it to be our norm.

That midfield four was Bos, Irvine, Brattan and Miller which you can't expect to create much. Even if that formation were retained we can do better with team selection, though I favour a back four and extra midfielder.

Do you understand it and the evolution of the three different shapes Popa uses?

If you do, I won't bother to delineate what it looks like. Otherwise I'm happy to depict it, if it isn't clear.

Gee, it is easy using this forum. Everything works all the time! No constructing an in depth post and then it doesn't load like on IS!

Frim what I've seen of the Aus U23s coning through, with the technical qualities of attacking midfielders Jake Hollman, Valadon, Segecic, the even younger Rhys Youlley, Kegan Jelacic (who have I missed?), I'm not particularly worried about Robertson. Although in the very limited minutes I've seen him for the Socceroos, Robertson looked to be a class player.

I'm already seeing a generation of players with better technical qualities than any previous Aussies ( Arnie said this too). In terms of first touch, handling speed, running with the ball and dribbling with the head up, ability to play rapidfire passing and moving sequences in tight spaces, these young attacking midfielders have the goods.

As a DM, I've liked the look of Nieuwenhof for the Young Socceroos too.

A proven player vs promising players. It's a big difference. Robertson is very important player for the national teams future. We must lock him in.

In the 3-4-3 phase, that quartet could have even be more effective if as opposed to a flat midfield, like you've depicted, Quicky, if they changed to a midfield diamond in Possession at times, it would be confusing for Japan!

.......................................Brattan

Miller...............................................................Bos

......................................Irvine

Brattan sits as the DM, but isn't mobile enough to be a sole screener at international level. Irvine goes forward to play AM.

Do you understand it and the evolution of the three different shapes Popa uses?

If you do, I won't bother to delineate what it looks like. Otherwise I'm happy to depict it, if it isn't clear.

Gee, it is easy using this forum. Everything works all the time! No constructing an in depth post and then it doesn't load like on IS!

The midfield was Irvine-Brattan OR Bos-Irvine-Brattan-Miller in different shapes.

That's okay backs to the wall v Japan away. But that group won't provide enough creative opportunities longer term. We were starved of clean and clear opportunities v Japan.

I hope to see a change in future games.

The midfield was Irvine-Brattan OR Bos-Irvine-Brattan-Miller in different shapes.

That's okay backs to the wall v Japan away. But that group won't provide enough creative opportunities longer term. We were starved of clean and clear opportunities v Japan.

I hope to see a change in future games.

In the past a few of us have looked at the stats and said Aus have played well and dominated game according to stats and territory, but just haven't been able to score.

What the data is showing recently at Senior and Under 23 level, is we can't score goals!

It arises in the AL with so many imported strikers. We've worked very hard in completely changing the way we play in terms of os possession, but now the NC needs to a greater onus on scoring goals.

Last edited:
In the past a few of us have looked at the stats and said Aus have played well and dominated game according to stats and territory, but just haven't been able to score.

Wha the data is showing recently at Senior and Under 23 level, is we can't score goals!

It arises in the AL with so many imported strikers. We've worked very hard in completely changing the way we play in terms of os possession, but now the NC needs to a greater onus on scoring goals.

We didn't dominate vs Japan and we didn't create either. We hung in there and ground out a draw through good defensive application and luck.

We do have issues scoring goals no doubt. I think a more creative midfield group will help address that.

A recent stat that Grazor has identified has been that in the past ( I have't been able to access Socceroo replays from 2006-12), particularly around 2006- 2008, is that Macca and Viduka, who scored goals frequently at a high level of club football, received a much greater proportion of balls played in the box aerially, than on the ground at Socceroo level. Hence, making it more difficult for them to score.

Now a greater percentage of Socceroo balls are played into the box on the deck.

We didn't dominate vs Japan and we didn't create either. We hung in there and ground out a draw through good defensive application and luck.

We do have issues scoring goals no doubt. I think a more creative midfield group will help address that.

The Japan game deviated from the recent Socceroo norm.

8 balls played into the box by Aus, is really low! Japan played 40.

A proven player vs promising players. It's a big difference. Robertson is very important player for the national teams future. We must lock him in.

I hope we get Robertson too, but there is also a lot of young talent coming through. The more depth, the better.

I hope we get Robertson too, but there is also a lot of young talent coming through. The more depth, the better.
Robertson's skill set is very impressive and he has contributed a couple of goals this season despite playing deep

He could work on his decision making. He does seem the closest to being ready for international football while being skilled at advancing the ball under pressure. Hopefully some of those other younger players also step up by the end of the a league season

Or Japan more likely would have watched the China game, where Popovic used the same 343/523/541 setup, and planned accordingly. Why would a team as well prepared as Japan assume that the new coach will continue on the same lines as the old coach, particularly when they can look at the tactics of the new coach in a game only 5 days prior?

Or Japan more likely would have watched the China game, where Popovic used the same 343/523/541 setup, and planned accordingly. Why would a team as well prepared as Japan assume that the new coach will continue on the same lines as the old coach, particularly when they can look at the tactics of the new coach in a game only 5 days prior?

That is true too. They might have watched the most recent game and prepared accordingly from that short window of a couple of days in between games.

Whatever, it didn't work out for Japan on the scoresheet. With the match stats Japan should have beaten us easily.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Robertson's skill set is very impressive and he has contributed a couple of goals this season despite playing deep

He could work on his decision making. He does seem the closest to being ready for international football while being skilled at advancing the ball under pressure. Hopefully some of those other younger players also step up by the end of the a league season

Any recommendations as to where I can see a game Robertson has played and was reasonably active on YT, Grazor?

Back