Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

The Australian National Football Team General Discussion*OFFICIAL*

While behind some of the Asian nations with respect to technical skills,particularly Japan,Saudi Arabia and South Korea,we have players who are skilful with excellent technique.Some such as McGree,Bos,Circati,Silvera,Velupillay,Irankunda and Goodwin are already involved with the Socceroos-hopefully Nisbet will come into calculations as well.Then we have Nieuwenhof,Robertson,Volpato ,Jovanovic,Caputo,Milanovic and Triantis who are thereabouts.If we can ally these skills with physicality and a strong competitive streak we will remain an Asian powerhouse.There are plenty of others coming through the system who also have excellent technical skills.

With the selection of the November squad not too far away, it is good to see so many O/S Aussies shining in their respective leagues. It would be really great for us to win both games this window which would give Poppa the opportunity to experiment in the remaining qualifiers. There are also some like Kalack whom we hope to be playing in the green and gold that could add some buzz to the selections this time.

I wish people would stop talking about Volpato. He has already turned down going to the World Cup with the Socceroos. Please stop this pie in the sky dreaming crap.
I think that he is by his own choice therefore not Australian. It follows that all posts about him should be moved to a UEFA thread and not be posted here. 😎

With the selection of the November squad not too far away, it is good to see so many O/S Aussies shining in their respective leagues. It would be really great for us to win both games this window which would give Poppa the opportunity to experiment in the remaining qualifiers. There are also some like Kalack whom we hope to be playing in the green and gold that could add some buzz to the selections this time.

I think these are all do or die games. The Saudi game is as big as the China/Japan games. We've got to keep winning.

I want to see us be more positive vs the Saudis at home. A back 4 with a McGree, Luongo, Robertson midfield.

I wish people would stop talking about Volpato. He has already turned down going to the World Cup with the Socceroos. Please stop this pie in the sky dreaming crap.

Volpato has to be the most divisive player on Aus football forums. I understand the angst after some of his comments and actions.

I can forgive those early comments because young kids say and do dumb shit sometimes. I did. Most have.

I understand why other people are less forgiving.

I find it a bit weird that some want to censor discussion about him. It's a forum. Discussions what it's about.

I don't think it's out of the equation that he decides to represent Australia, and it's fun to chat about.

I agree. No one should be begged to represent their country, this talk just feeds his ego & makes him think he's some sort of cool kid handing out attention if he finally decides to say yes.

I agree. No one should be begged to represent their country, this talk just feeds his ego & makes him think he's some sort of cool kid handing out attention if he finally decides to say yes.
Im sure his ego can handle a weekly match update on an obscure forum. There are 30 or so aussies updated each week im sure you also survive scrolling past his update

I think these are all do or die games. The Saudi game is as big as the China/Japan games. We've got to keep winning.

I want to see us be more positive vs the Saudis at home. A back 4 with a McGree, Luongo, Robertson midfield.
Will luongo be back?

Will robbo have his tax returns filed with fifa?

Im sure his ego can handle a weekly match update on an obscure forum. There are 30 or so aussies updated each week im sure you also survive scrolling past his update
We're referring to every single media outlet and commentator talking about him every single Socceroos game. Plus the Oliver Twist's in the Australian online football community holding out the Socceroos begging bowl, please sir can you spare some time for your country?

Volpato has to be the most divisive player on Aus football forums. I understand the angst after some of his comments and actions.

I can forgive those early comments because young kids say and do dumb shit sometimes. I did. Most have.

I understand why other people are less forgiving.

I find it a bit weird that some want to censor discussion about him. It's a forum. Discussions what it's about.

I don't think it's out of the equation that he decides to represent Australia, and it's fun to chat about.
Agreed Quicky and there was one before Volpato long before SM and news on tap like today.
Roo/Craig Johnston, he also suffered the young kid foot and mouth prob at a press conference and never lived it down and some supporters will never forgive him as well.
The way I see it Volpato has the split identity challenge many of us born from migrants have imo, not all but many do.
Leave it be I say, he'll find his place sooner or later hold nothing against him holding out till he's ready with us or not, like why care.

Agreed Quicky and there was one before Volpato long before SM and news on tap like today.
Roo/Craig Johnston, he also suffered the young kid foot and mouth prob at a press conference and never lived it down and some supporters will never forgive him as well.
The way I see it Volpato has the split identity challenge many of us born from migrants have imo, not all but many do.
Leave it be I say, he'll find his place sooner or later hold nothing against him holding out till he's ready with us or not, like why care.
Meh its a non event for me... The kid has a little talent, he will waste his career trying to get into the Azzuri squad and come crawling back to Oz when he's past his prime... Whatever will be will be, if he chooses Australia I will be happy (if he plays well for us) if not, good luck to the kid, all the best, hopes he carves out a life where he wants to and is happy..

Craig Johnston said at 17 years old that playing football for Australia was like surfing for England & many held that against him for the rest of his life.
Not sure I'd like people to like or not like me for my words or action as a 17 year old.
Craig Johnston was also playing for the Best football team in the world winning Premierships scoring in FA cups & winning Champions leagues, can't think of too many Aussies doing that, as a matter of fact no Aussies apart from Johnston did that.

Back