Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Match stats/analysis for recent Socceroo games

Decentric

Replies
I've recorded match stats from the recent Japan v Socceroos game in Japan. Stats might not be your thing, but they are becoming increasingly prevalent in world footbal.

Total defensive passes completed: Australia 182, Japan 181.

Defensive Pass Accuracy: Australia 92%, Japan 96%.

Total Attacking passes completed: Aus 116, Japan 207.

Attacking pass accuracy: Australia 82%, Japan 84%.

Full pitch total passes completed : Australia 339, Japan 435.

Full pitch passing accuracy : Australia 88%, Japan 89%.

Possession stats based on passing completion: Aus 44 %, Japan 56%.

Balls played into the Pen Box: Australia 8, Japan 40.

Balls played into the box on the ground: Australia 5, Japan 21.

Shots at goal: Australia 2, Japan 10.

Shots on target: Australia 1, Japan 2.

Keeper saves: Australia 1, Japan 0.

Keeper intercepts: Australia 7, Japan 2.

With the possession Ten had about 30% possession for Aus. I think anecdotally there may have been quite a few instances where Japanese players made some long runs when Running With The Ball /Dribbling.

It would have added to their possession.

Maybe they had some lengthy periods in possession in the defensive half where the Socceroos didn't Squeeze them as intensively? They had time on the ball as they were passing too.

The massive differential was that Japan had nearly double the passes completed as Aus in the attacking half.

Moreover, that Japan played 40 balls into the pen box compared to Aus's 8, is a really dominant performance.

The last two stats are significant factors that Japan dominated the game, and should have won.

Last edited:
Japan get 1 goal per 14 pen box touches at the asian cup for comparison. Was a pretty impressive defensive performance
It was a very good defensive performance from Aus without the ball.

However, only playing 8 balls into the box, compared to Japan's 40 is cause for concern in attack and in possession.

Australia had 5 balls played on the ground into the pen box, compared to Japan's 21. As you've previously suggested, ground balls are often easier for players to score from, than aerial balls, or mid height balls between knee and chest.

Last edited:

However, only playing 8 balls into the box, compared to Japan's 40 is cause for concern in attack and in possession.

Australia had 5 balls played on the ground into the pen box, compared to Japan's 17. As you've previously suggested, ground balls are often easier for players to score from, than aerial balls, or mid height balls between knee and chest.

are those 5 deck balls that touched a teammates feet in the box (regardless of whether they controlled it)

if so that would have been a massive outlier during gg era games, which is pretty remarkable given how dominated we are

for all the frustration in our players not achieving the same club success, it is nice that this has at least improved!

It's probably heresy to use afl terminology, but I think they use the word "disposal" to be when you have possession and succesfully give possession to a team mate. Someone who watches afl can correct me if I've butchered it haha

Three stats I'm obsessed with in analyzing aussie football and our goal in improving
1) deck disposals from z14, even if it is a basic tee up for a long shot (not the half spaces, and against a set defence, not in transition)
2) deck disposals from the red zone that aren't wall passes
3) deck disposals into the penalty box

It's probably heresy to use afl terminology, but I think they use the word "disposal" to be when you have possession and succesfully give possession to a team mate. Someone who watches afl can correct me if I've butchered it haha

Three stats I'm obsessed with in analyzing aussie football and our goal in improving
1) deck disposals from z14, even if it is a basic tee up for a long shot (not the half spaces, and against a set defence, not in transition)

Disposal extrapolates to handling speed. Speed receiving and passing the ball on to a teammate.

are those 5 deck balls that touched a teammates feet in the box (regardless of whether they controlled it)

if so that would have been a massive outlier during gg era games, which is pretty remarkable given how dominated we are

for all the frustration in our players not achieving the same club success, it is nice that this has at least improved!

I will have to go back to both teams to look at whether balls played in the box on the deck were touched by a teammate, or repelled by a defender.

Will get back later!

Observations of Australia on the ball.

1:05: A better awareness system where Hrustic knows a good midfielder will always be just behind can see a back pass and a good left side ball to two gold shirts against one defender there. Soft pass intercepted.

2:47: Heavy McGree first touch in transition and ball is lost.

5:50. Hrustic fouled but if he goes that bit quicker he can pass 35m across in behind to Bos.

8:07: Irvine with heavy touch and bad pass to Duke who is swarmed. Time and vision can go left to McGree and Bos.

10:01. Best option by Irvine into the channel to Duke. Much swifter forward which was better. Bos trailed behind and slowed. Following through and letting Duke know he was there would've been better.

11:02: Ball at head height but Hrustic just needs to control it downwards and a quick left has Irvine and McGree in acres of space. Heads onwards to Duke who heads onwards to them.

11:40. Quick short passes but nothing forward and Miller tackled for throw.

15:23: Brattan's best play with over the top ball. McGree runs diagonally and Hrustic runs away from him. Ball to Miller who plays it into wide space but no one there. Hrustic metres away and needed to just walk into that big space and the play continues. Duke and Irvine overshoot and aren't options.

22:16: Nice anticipation and press by everyone for Bos to intercept. Needs to try and pass it inside as we have many players waiting there.

29:49. The Bos run. Good attempt to break through. A pass across left to Hrustic or better movement by McGree could have seen something.

33:58. Ueda is onside as he almost latches onto a wayward shot.

41:19: Bos starts the risky diagonal run across goal. Ball lost but without a heavy touch and midfield support, Miller was way up so there was good awareness there.

We turned the ball over in some risky areas. Japan interestingly overhit it, had a heavy touched or stumbled into touch. It wasn't their day in an execution sense to set up potential chance making plays.

48:10: Good movement by Australia. Yazbek with patient pivots. 35 sec of promising play ruined by an Irvine sky ball.

57:20: Australia goal came from another keeper kick to no where. Geria heads down and some good quick play. It's evident our chances or space always come in transitional moments

67:03: We held the ball for a full 90 seconds and that was where the loose balls were fought hard for and it looked like something not seen in ages.

Japan goal. Can't say Miller was fouled. Feet on man completely still. Miller stupidly just ran into him. Yazbek completely outdone and in hindsight just needed to draw foul on edge of box by going right in. One angle shows it actually beats Gauci. What a shame as the ball basically is at Gauci's hand and forearm height. Just too swift and timed and Burgess could afford to just let it go as Ueda would score. A shame it didn't scuff his shin or knee. Miller and Yazbek had to foul there. Interesting also to see there wasn't any pass lane so a Geria charge probably blocks it too. 2 others in 6 yard box and Behich also stupidly ran to post leaving Ueda free. Definitely something to review.

76:23: Get ball down their end but too casual by Hrustic again and others. No urgency or movement.

In added time we still tempted them by not covering the right areas or trying to hold the ball. It's hard to hold it but we kept inviting them to have one last go.

A disposal in AFL is a handball or kick. It's got nothing to do with it's effectiveness. There are other stats for that such as disposal efficiency, kicking efficiency, handball efficiency or clangers (which are mistakes/turnovers).

The massive differential was that Japan had nearly double the passes completed as Aus in the attacking half.

Moreover, that Japan played 40 balls into the pen box compared to Aus's 8, is a really dominant performance.

The last two stats are significant factors that Japan dominated the game, and should have won.

This is exactly why I want a formation change and different midfield balance vs weaker teams or when we play at home.

I think an extra midfielder would help. I think a technical no. 8 like Robertson helps address that. Nisbet too. We also have options for technical no. 6's in Luongo, O'Neill, Balard and when fit Nieuwenhof.

There is opportunity to improve and to address those issues.

Australia had 5 balls played on the ground into the pen box, compared to Japan's 17. As you've previously suggested, ground balls are often easier for players to score from, than aerial balls, or mid height balls between knee and chest.

I was quite impressed with the defensive performance watching the game.

A disposal in AFL is a handball or kick. It's got nothing to do with it's effectiveness. There are other stats for that such as disposal efficiency, kicking efficiency, handball efficiency or clangers (which are mistakes/turnovers).
Ah ok we should make one up.

Effective deck ball means it found a team mate?

is there a football term that is more efficient to "a completed pass on the deck from outside the box to inside the box"

Not to the best of my knowledge! I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Getting back to your previous question, Grazor. I made a mistake - Japan played 21 balls into the box on the ground out of their 40 balls played into the pen box, not 17. I've corrected it in the aforementioned match data.

Out of Aus's 5 balls played on the ground, 4 were effective. That means the ball touched an Aus player first, not repelled by a Japanese defender. Two of them were lovely long ball carry actions by Bos into the pen box.

Of the 21 Japanese balls played into the pen box on the ground, 10 were repelled by an Aus defender, and 11 were received by a Japanese attacking player.

Not to the best of my knowledge! I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Getting back to your previous question, Grazor. I made a mistake - Japan played 21 balls into the box on the ground out of their 40 balls played into the pen box, not 17. I've corrected it in the aforementioned match data.

Out of Aus's 5 balls played on the ground, 4 were effective. That means the ball touched an Aus player first, not repelled by a Japanese defender. Two of them were lovely long ball carry actions by Bos into the pen box.

Of the 21 Japanese balls played into the pen box on the ground, 10 were repelled by an Aus defender, and 11 were received by a Japanese attacking player.
I think for a lot of gg games 2 would have been the norm for effective deck balls into the box!

Thats not to say that we are better, but that was an extraordinary weekness in their play which nullified our best player in viduka and later nullified poor scotty mac

Back