Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

World Cup Qualification Thread for 2026 - Socceroos/Asia

Nice read mate, as mentioned incl McKinna, very hard to compare apples with oranges.
Even the mention of touring sides here EPL SPL, the EPL sides sure are not going at full gas nor many start up players but a few.
They coast against our AL sides and probably have better finish's than say SPL touring sides.
I watch those games in frustration knowing its a mickey mouse $$ spin game so I don't think good comparisons as well.
Our guys go full on for its at home, they are playing against big name clubs many will never have the chance again.
I think off the top of my head only 2 mickey mouse games we could call as exciting/epic.
Galaxy with Beckham vs SFC at Homebush and All Stars vs Barca again at Homebush when Koul made a huge impact.

I'd sooner our players go elsewhere but as mentioned it sure is a baptism of fire for any up comer coming from cosy Oz and minimal games.

I tagged this article sometime back on the other forum.

and re the scottish attitude towards our players, even brilliant ones ala Dukes/Moore/Rogic etc copped flak yep.
The way I see it they have produced many iconic players obviously departed their grounds to grace the disliked english.
Dalglish/Law/Souness/Bremner/Strachan/Robbo : to name a few that when they consider imports they have to be damn hot.
Only so few become legends to them but mock many many others, its a hard battle field to win them over though isn't that everywhere.
We have only so few who really became known globally in the game so lack of respect is not surprising..
Did you see Ange interviewed after being beaten by SFC? He was farking furious - they were told to give it their best.

Your point is perfectly good though, they'll never be full throttle in a friendly OS, but EPL sides always win here. SPL sides just about never. And do you really think St Johnstone or Ross County (even with Nizz calling the shots) would beat any of our top four teams?

I'd bet on Victory, City or SFC to beat anyone outside the Old Firm - even in Scotland.

Big call, I know, but I watch a lot of SPL and just about every AL game.

Did you see Ange interviewed after being beaten by SFC? He was farking furious - they were told to give it their best.

Your point is perfectly good though, they'll never be full throttle in a friendly OS, but EPL sides always win here. SPL sides just about never. And do you really think St Johnstone or Ross County (even with Nizz calling the shots) would beat any of our top four teams?

I'd bet on Victory, City or SFC to beat anyone outside the Old Firm - even in Scotland.

Yeah it can be hard for aussie to believe the a league is comparable in quality to a euro league. But they really should watch the spl outside of old firm sides (like a dozen to get a feel for the standard)

If u are an optimist, the a league really is that good

If u are a pessimist the spl really is that bad

It reminds me of Scotland at the Euros trying to fit Tierney and Robertson in the same team. If we go that way I hope it works out better for us. On face value it looks okay. For that formation.

Honestly I hope the 5-2-3 was just a short term piece of pragmatism. A tactic to right the ship aimed at getting that point at Japan (A). I want to see a different formation in the next window. Something with a back four and an opportunity for more midfielders.
This honestly is my major hope for the next window. The number of times we weren't able to play through or contest for possession in any meaningful way in the centre of park against Japan was a major issue.

Huge props to Popa for the window. Top marks on the 4 points across the two games, but forgoing a body in the middle of the park for a body in centre defence is not it.

Robertson in and one of the centre backs out is how I see it.

This honestly is my major hope for the next window. The number of times we weren't able to play through or contest for possession in any meaningful way in the centre of park against Japan was a major issue.

Huge props to Popa for the window. Top marks on the 4 points across the two games, but forgoing a body in the middle of the park for a body in centre defence is not it.

Robertson in and one of the centre backs out is how I see it.

Yeah that's my thoughts also. I'm really keen to see Robertson play.

It will be interesting to see how we replace Goodwin. Silvera as a straight swap? McGree higher and wider + another CAM? Arzani out of the blue?

It will be interesting to see how we replace Goodwin. Silvera as a straight swap? McGree higher and wider + another CAM? Arzani out of the blue?
Hopefully silvera will be available. Didnt make the bench last night. Injury or form?

A Robertson call up is of extremely high priority.
I don't think it is after seeing many of the young U23s. There are plenty of talented midfielders coming through.

I've only seen Robertson in one Socceroo friendly and although classy, there are plenty of others coming through.

Rhys Youlley looks fantastic and he is still U 20.

Valadon is superb on the ball.

Jake Hollman oozes class.

Segecic is high quality with extreme pace over the turf.

Although in the 20 min I saw Jelacic play against Auckland, I was hoping for more improvement this season. It might have been a bad game.

Goodwin is going to be tough to replace.

I've just watched a replay and recorded stats of the Japan v Aus game.

In the past, apart from South K in the Asian Cup, I've recorded heaps of games where the senior Socceroos, or Aus U23s, either struggle to win, draw or lose, but the stats usually have shown Aus dominates territory, possession and balls played into the box, plus has more shots at goal. Other fans don't like reading it!

Although I have not counted the stats all up and calculated the passing stats, this time it is the inverse. Japan dominated balls played in the box, shots at goal, although by not by as many as one would think. They also dominated territory and possession. I can't believe Aus drew with something like 2 shots at goal, and one Japanese player scoring an own goal. Japan comprehensively played us off the park! They just couldn't score.

The main positive is how well Aus defended for sustained periods without the ball.

It reminds me of Scotland at the Euros trying to fit Tierney and Robertson in the same team. If we go that way I hope it works out better for us. On face value it looks okay. For that formation.

Honestly I hope the 5-2-3 was just a short term piece of pragmatism. A tactic to right the ship aimed at getting that point at Japan (A). I want to see a different formation in the next window. Something with a back four and an opportunity for more midfielders.
The 5 - 2 -3 is only deployed by Popa in Ball Possession Opposition in the attacking half of the pitch.

When the opposition build up progresses towards our defensive half, it evolves into a 5- 4 -1. The two wide players in the attacking three move back into a line with the 2 central midfielders.

Aus wins the ball and the formation evolves to a 3-4-3 flat midfield in Ball Possession. The two wide players in the defensive line push up into the midfield line making a different four. The two wide players in the midfield four vacate that line, and push up into a line with the central striker, to make an attacking line of three players.

As soon as Aus loses the ball again, the wide players in the midfield line, move back into a line with the back three, to make a 5-2-3.

I don't think it is after seeing many of the young U23s. There are plenty of talented midfielders coming through.

I've only seen Robertson in one Socceroo friendly and although classy, there are plenty of others coming through.

Although in the 20 min I saw Jelacic play against Auckland, I was hoping for more improvement this season. It might have been a bad game.
That's comforting yet we know Robertson is proving it right now. The others will hopefully become fully fledged and by then Irvine will have retired.

The 5 - 2 -3 is only deployed by Popa in Ball Possession Opposition in the attacking half of the pitch.

When the opposition build up progresses towards our defensive half, it evolves into a 5- 4 -1. The two wide players in the attacking three move back into a line with the 2 central midfielders.

Aus wins the ball and the formation evolves to a 3-4-3 flat midfield in Ball Possession. The two wide players in the defensive line push up into the midfield line making a different four. The two wide players in the midfield four vacate that line, and push up into a line with the central striker, to make an attacking line of three players.

As soon as Aus loses the ball again, the wide players in the midfield line, move back into a line with the back three, to make a 5-2-3.

Yes and the selections favour the defensive players. It leaves us short of creativity in midfield. The midfield had Irvine and Brattan who are defensively focussed and struggled in possession when pressed.

When the wing backs moved forward Bos and Miller advanced but in wide spaces. Bos is perfect in the role. Miller has deficiencies defending and attacking. He is fully committed, which brings the risk of over exuberant tackles in defensive positions, but also lacks technique which makes his end product in attack lacking.

I'd like to see a different formation that favours our more creative midfielders so we can play a more progressive game at home v Saudi Arabia and away v the weaker teams.

Last edited:
Robertson, Balard and Nisbet in are my hope for the next window.
Versatility can bring some 1 for 2 in certain positions allowing these others to come in. Stensness/Triantis for Brattan and Deng.

Geria for Deng and Miller and recall Atkinson or just have Baccus as emergency.

Brattan surely has to make way while Yazbek stakes a claim. Nisbet should come in for Hrustic.

Not to forget Metcalfe and Luongo. Suddenly 26 is even tricky to fill.

yes I recall Ange back then, ofcourse he expects 100% - they were a mess - as usual many bench and youth get thrown in and I recall they just couldn't settle down much at all. (don't recall many SPL Club visiting our shores might I say)
I'd find it hard trying to play a game after all the travel, end of season and play a local no matter who/where that will always have their bit between their teeth to show they can compete with the OS players.
I'll say this again, I don't rate rate Hoops or Rangers much in the big picture nor the league.

As for our top 4 competing, that varies from season to season the way our league is, lose heaps of players (ala CCM now).
I'd luv to see any of ours play Ross County and the likes, then we'll know the IF's BUT's who would be on top but I get your point.

Last edited:

How can you say it isn't a priority and then follow it up by saying "I've only seen Robertson once"? Watch him at his club and you'll know. People who have watched him for Cardiff and Portsmouth know his value and let's not forget he came from Man City and was training and made their team a few times.

Yes, we have some good U23 midfielders coming through but we have had that in the past as well, Metcalfe, Hrustic, Baccus etc and none of them are good enough to be considered to start at a World Cup if we want to make a strong impact let alone someone who can make a proper forward pass in qualifiers. Robertson and Volpato are easily the best options we have and Robertson is someone who should be of the highest priority with-in the team. Might take a while to get accustomed with the Roos but the difference he'll make we'll be massive and right now it seems it's only paperwork issues that is preventing his cap.

Versatility can bring some 1 for 2 in certain positions allowing these others to come in. Stensness/Triantis for Brattan and Deng.

Geria for Deng and Miller and recall Atkinson or just have Baccus as emergency.

Brattan surely has to make way while Yazbek stakes a claim. Nisbet should come in for Hrustic.

Not to forget Metcalfe and Luongo. Suddenly 26 is even tricky to fill.
Karacic at RWB would be worth a look as well as Kalik

Back