Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

World Cup Qualification Thread for 2026 - Socceroos/Asia

Versatility can bring some 1 for 2 in certain positions allowing these others to come in. Stensness/Triantis for Brattan and Deng.

Geria for Deng and Miller and recall Atkinson or just have Baccus as emergency.

Brattan surely has to make way while Yazbek stakes a claim. Nisbet should come in for Hrustic.

Not to forget Metcalfe and Luongo. Suddenly 26 is even tricky to fill.

Atkinson is playing at DM for Melb City, whilst Talbot plays for them at RB ATM.

I was really surprised?

Atkinson is playing at DM for Melb City, whilst Talbot plays for them at RB ATM.

I was really surprised?
Yes very surprising. Could work for them but the last thing we need is adapting at right back to midfield for the national team. Arnold would probably toy with that if he were still in.

We need to start trimming the fat so we can name some extra midfielders and strikers. Baccus in the squad as a midfielder and replacement right back. Deng had good cards with his versatility. Add Elder over behind. LB, LWB and LCB are all areas he's played.

Metcalfe has the best cards given he can play all over. Name Toure, Yengi, Iredale, Apo. We need the firepower.

How can you say it isn't a priority and then follow it up by saying "I've only seen Robertson once"? Watch him at his club and you'll know. People who have watched him for Cardiff and Portsmouth know his value and let's not forget he came from Man City and was training and made their team a few times.

Yes, we have some good U23 midfielders coming through but we have had that in the past as well, Metcalfe, Hrustic, Baccus etc and none of them are good enough to be considered to start at a World Cup if we want to make a strong impact let alone someone who can make a proper forward pass in qualifiers. Robertson and Volpato are easily the best options we have and Robertson is someone who should be of the highest priority with-in the team. Might take a while to get accustomed with the Roos but the difference he'll make we'll be massive and right now it seems it's only paperwork issues that is preventing his cap.

True I haven't seen Robertson play a lot , and I haven't seen him at at club level, but I've seen a lot of the younger AMs play extensively for the Aus U23s and in the AL.

They are vastly superior technically on the ball to Metclafe, Baccus and possibly even Hrustic. Plus most are already good off the ball in breaking up attacks. It sometimes isn't where a player plays his club football, that extrapolates to international performance.

Arnie, who I was a big fan of, missed selecting AL Melb Vic player, Jason Geria, as a RB. Geria has had one and half games with the Socceroos, under immense pressure, in tough match scenarios. He has played as well as anybody else - better than Burgess, the EPL CB.

Attacking mids from the U 23s, Jake Hollman, Jordi Valadon, Segecic, the even younger Rhys Youlley, and Kegan Jelacic, are superior technicians on the ball compared to Hrustic, McGree, Silvera, Baccus, Metcalfe, Genreau and Irvine. The only current midfielder in their technical class is O'Neill - and probably Brattan - on the ball, not off it.

Recent U 23 Nieuwenhof is a quality DM too.

How are the U23s technically superior?

Handling speed, first touch, both sides of the body play, rapidfire passing and moving in tight spaces, running with the ball and dribbling with the head up, 1v1 attacking skills - plus they defend well too - albeit Valadon needs plenty of work to improve his ball winning.

Hopefully, Robertson commits and our depth improves.

Yes very surprising. Could work for them but the last thing we need is adapting at right back to midfield for the national team. Arnold would probably toy with that if he were still in.

We need to start trimming the fat so we can name some extra midfielders and strikers. Baccus in the squad as a midfielder and replacement right back. Deng had good cards with his versatility. Add Elder over behind. LB, LWB and LCB are all areas he's played.

Metcalfe has the best cards given he can play all over. Name Toure, Yengi, Iredale, Apo. We need the firepower.

I've missed Iredale at club level in Aussies Abroad?

ATM we need Atkinson playing RB at Melb City for Socceroo best interests. It was Atkinson's first game, but he wasn't doing particularly well at DM or City compared to what he can do at RB.

I've missed Iredale at club level in Aussies Abroad?

ATM we need Atkinson playing RB at Melb City for Socceroo best interests. It was Atkinson's first game, but he wasn't doing particularly well at DM or City compared to what he can do at RB.
Aalborg just play rigid, fearful promoted side football that Iredale can't get involved in. He's scored 3 in the reserve cup competition. Basically Aalborg cross either 10 metres high, behind the goal or lose it before. Iredale needs to seek the ball more but their midfield struggles too.

It will be interesting to see how we replace Goodwin.

It is a huge headache to replace Goodwin!

Like you suggest Arzani, I'm a massive fan! I just love flashy players! Love his body swerves/shoulder feints and La Croquetas! These two techniques are quite functional too, where less can go wrong. He terrorised Bangladesh on a shocking pitch when he came on as a sub.

Daniel A can play at both Left and Right wing too, and seamlessly interchange. He has also learned to defend. It might be tough him starting. Might be short of a gallop?

Aalborg just play rigid, fearful promoted side football that Iredale can't get involved in. He's scored 3 in the reserve cup competition. Basically Aalborg cross either 10 metres high, behind the goal or lose it before. Iredale needs to seek the ball more but their midfield struggles too.

Thanks.

Poor bloke!

Mmmm, talk of these wonder U23's is all and good but but but......
The talk of Atkinson gets me spinning, just 25, little over that wonderous U23, and when he hit form originally in the AL he flopped pretty much in a Roo shirt imo.
You see - some just can't cope with the pressure - its a natural thing - sooner or later a player finds his place, great at club so so at NT or visa versa.
When these wonderous U23's finally get the chance from Poppa if and when, lets see how they really handle themselves under the proper fire against far better defense's, more mobile opponents incl experienced ones, then I'll see how advanced they are in the proper cauldrom of fire.
I really see too much chicken before the egg talk from us aussies, I suppose we are that desperate i get it :)

So Nicholas Lennon saying he has an exclusive that Graham Arnold will be interviewed for Saudi job. Just stop right there! This would be Football Australia's rumble in the jungle.

The scenes if we didn't but maybe Arnold can do us a sneaky favour and fuck it up and their faith in him is his do or die management for the next round.

Mmmm, talk of these wonder U23's is all and good but but but......
The talk of Atkinson gets me spinning, just 25, little over that wonderous U23, and when he hit form originally in the AL he flopped pretty much in a Roo shirt imo.
You see - some just can't cope with the pressure - its a natural thing - sooner or later a player finds his place, great at club so so at NT or visa versa.
When these wonderous U23's finally get the chance from Poppa if and when, lets see how they really handle themselves under the proper fire against far better defense's, more mobile opponents incl experienced ones, then I'll see how advanced they are in the proper cauldrom of fire.
I really see too much chicken before the egg talk from us aussies, I suppose we are that desperate i get it :)
These days im more interested in quantity rather than quality. As u say it is unpredictable how a player progresses. Some cant handle pressure, some have their bodies betray them, some make bad club choices or get screwed over by coaches, some choose other countries, some exceed all expectations. You need enough tickets in the lottery to win. Our lottery ticket purchased are going up pretty rapidly which has me cautiously optimistic

I came across this analysis of Popovic's first two matches. It's quite long but seems worth a read if you find tactics interesting.

I just read this and it was a fantastic analysis. Thanks for sharing. It sums up my feelings about the centre midfielders well.

There was an issue with ball retention and progression when our centre mids were pressed, which Japan did well.

If we're to retain this formation we need midfielders who are better at ball retention and progression. Luongo in the O'Neill/Brattan role and Robertson in Irvines role would help significantly.

I also think we have a weakness on the right side with this formation. There is no natural RWB or right inside mid/forward. It favours Strain (when he returns), Miller (for now) and Hrustic (if he finds form).

I can't say that the Miller-Hrustic combination excites me. I think we'll see opportunities in these roles, but no-one stands out to me.

Some of the bits from the article that hit for me:
It’s fine in circumstances to give away possession when progressing — particularly considering the close distances of the box midfield — but too often technical errors resulted in losing the ball from ‘retention’ passes, which were balls that went sideways or backwards.
The Socceroos’ 3–2 rest defence in possession is solid, but individual quality and momentum on transition alleviates the importance of structure, and simply, by continuing to lose the ball from these ‘retention’ passes, Australia will continue to concede dangerous opportunities on transitions.

As well as a reluctance to receive in tight spaces, there were issues with the choice and timing of passes, which is something that will hopefully develop under Popovic as more synergy emerges in verbal and non-verbal communication between the players.
There are profiles that will improve the team, however — as well as Hrustic and McGree between the lines, Alex Robertson and Massimo Luongo could make a significant difference — particularly the latter when playing in the double pivot with his ability to play quickly with more confidence and disguise.

The Socceroos — and Luke Brattan in particular in the first half — struggled to evade Japan’s counterpress, which, to their credit, was exceptionally intense.
But in Brattan’s case, he simply couldn’t perform actions — in this case touches — quick enough to retain possession immediately after winning it, something that wasn’t his fault, and was fixed by Yazbek coming on after halftime.
This is a trend that we could likely see under Popovic, where midfielders who can’t quickly receive and pass the ball in tight spaces will be phased out of the squad, to an extent.

Last edited:
Yeah I really like this type of analysis. I think there is a lack of critical thought in the general football culture in Aus that holds us back from progressing .

Two things stood out to me from what I saw on social media about Popovic's appointment and the first line up against China. That he was a defensive boring coach who was basically a clone of Arnold.

But if you have watched his career over the last 10 years he has had four or five iterations setting up a team and only during the first two Wanderers seasons was he happy with the opposition dictating play.

The worse one was the amount of people thinking it would be 5 at the back against China at home. I find it pretty amazing you would look at the side when we are playing China at home and think Popovic is going to sit back with 5 defenders.

Back