Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Introduce yourself here (again)

I am West Adelaide Hellas. I loved the NSL and followed Hellas week in week out in the NSL until our demise in the late 90s. I do not follow the current team in the State League (nothing against them but am involved with another local club).

I follow the a-league as a whole and have done so since day 1 but I more care about the league in general as opposed to how Adelaide United go (I have three season tickets). After West Adelaide in the NSL I had found it impossible to care about another club in the same way.

Thank you for setting up this forum !

Hi all - I'm Bruce. Yes, it's my real name but I'm not bothered by sharing it. I think I'm pretty scam-aware . I am on the Inside Sport Forums also, and have been for many years. Bola Sepak there. Will stay at that Forum but also will check on here. I only post occasionally, almost exclusively about Australians playing abroad. I use SofaScore, FotMob and Forza to try and keep tabs on how our Australian players are faring in their overseas careers.

As others have already done, I would like to express here my gratitude to Pasquali and all involved in creating and operating this Forum.

Born and grew up in Brisbane, lived many years in Canberra and then Perth. Follow the fortunes of Brisbane Roar in the A-League and Holland Park Hawks and Eastern Suburbs at Brisbane grassroots level.

Septuagenerian, retired and now permanently resident in the Philippines.

Interesting?

I'm an avid reader. Where can we access your books? Which genre? I might message you. Full time novelists make very little money unless incredibly successful.

Your legal background can be useful for Pasquali.
Books never last long on the shelves (unless they keep selling) so mine are only in a couple of shops on the Central Coast or can be ordered through my website.

Ebooks are available here. https://ebookalchemy.com.au/Results.php?SearchKey=Adrian+Deans

Mr Cleansheets is technically a crime novel with an English football backdrop. I've done offbeat crime, historical and speculative fiction.

Latest is here: https://www.shop.haguepublishing.com/product/asparagus-grass-ebook/

I bought Straight Jacket a while back. I never looked at North side parks the same ever again. Delightfully fucked up novel. Kudos.
Glad you enjoyed it. That was my most successful novel and was optioned by Ealing Studios for a while. I still catch up with the producer about once a year - reckons he's still trying to get it made.

Hi fellow GGFC forumers new and ex 442 - like Mad Max there's a new migration for survival, Thanks Pasquali !
(be curious to know a little of your background considering the intro thread)
Born here from Nth Italian/Cro migrants early '50's.
Football was the only game my father knew hence been a player since I could kick and run, was taken to APIA/SU58 formerly South Sydney Croatia games way way back then luv the culture and foundations of the past.
All I keep wishing for is our game prospering more and more for all of us, my passion has been ingrained in my 2 grown sons both players/rep - a supporter of our grass roots clubs incl sponsership happy to help.
Luv the game, luv the comradeship, it is the beautiful game.

I am West Adelaide Hellas. I loved the NSL and followed Hellas week in week out in the NSL until our demise in the late 90s. I do not follow the current team in the State League (nothing against them but am involved with another local club).

I follow the a-league as a whole and have done so since day 1 but I more care about the league in general as opposed to how Adelaide United go (I have three season tickets). After West Adelaide in the NSL I had found it impossible to care about another club in the same way.

Thank you for setting up this forum !
A lot of us are like that. Support the league as a whole. I want to one day care about a club side, roar have never felt QLD enough for me to care. WSW have occasionally got my interest with their passionate support, ccm and AU with their backing of youth. I wonder if I can be won over by a nst club. In any case socceroos and matildas are my club and a league is the development league so watch as many games as i can

Hi all - I'm Bruce. Yes, it's my real name but I'm not bothered by sharing it. I think I'm pretty scam-aware . I am on the Inside Sport Forums also, and have been for many years. Bola Sepak there. Will stay at that Forum but also will check on here. I only post occasionally, almost exclusively about Australians playing abroad. I use SofaScore, FotMob and Forza to try and keep tabs on how our Australian players are faring in their overseas careers.

As others have already done, I would like to express here my gratitude to Pasquali and all involved in creating and operating this Forum.

Born and grew up in Brisbane, lived many years in Canberra and then Perth. Follow the fortunes of Brisbane Roar in the A-League and Holland Park Hawks and Eastern Suburbs at Brisbane grassroots level.

Septuagenerian, retired and now permanently resident in the Philippines.
did you have a handle on 442?

I have joined this forum. Looking forward to a game at Suncorp with most of the stands closed off. Looking forward to some journo asking Popovic to explain his selections. Looking forward to Brattan starting many more games ahead of Nisbet.
Cheers SOO.

I am a long-time lurker on the old forum - since the days when Ange was at the Roar.

Played (and scored) in the Championship Final win over Broadbeach United, on the Gold Coast, in 1984. Sharks' first senior trophy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Beach_SC

I am a Mathematical Physicist transitioning into retirement. I might start posting a bit with some more time on my hands.

JM47 checking in formerly known as proud2becanberran.
Are you still proud to be Canberran? 🤭

Been lurking back on some of the other threads but will check in with a full back story now for everyone:

Born in Griffith NSW to an Italian migrant family in the early 90s, played for mighty Hanwood in my youth (due to family connections), before my team (not the club) folded and I played elsewhere in the area.

Moved to Canberra for uni (sports journalism) in the 2010s and originally played futsal solely until taking up a role to assist the manager of the Griffith representative team that entered the Canberra NPL in 2017, Riverina Rhinos, and moved into a similar role with the Wagga City Wanderers for a year when the manager moved over and the club also entered Canberra’s league in the second division.

When the manager left, I rediscovered my curiosity for refereeing and refereed through Canberra’s 3rd and 4th divisions (occasionally AR in NPL games), and in NPL youth divisions for a couple years before personal reasons/appendicitis meant I put on quite a bit of weight (too much of the missus’ gnocchi may also have played a part), so have been having a break for a couple years until I can get my fitness back to a level where I feel like I’m not going to play a negative part on the game.

In terms of support:
  • Premier League - Chelsea ever since seeing a goal from Zola on the news in years gone by (also helps that my best mate’s dad used to have a Zola shrine with a signed shirt in his restaurant around the same time), although I have been really following them from a distance for the past 8 years or so..
  • Catania - where my family migrated from. Only discovered they had a team because when Juventus were relegated for Calciopoli, I swore I wouldn’t support ‘cheaters’ anymore (although still follow them from a distance now as well), and noticed Catania were being promoted that same season. Ironically, they were then penalised around 10 seasons later for the same thing as Juventus (hence the change on my stance because I am a hypocrite).
  • Was following Sydney FC until I’ve sort of become disassociated with A-League (but will watch from time to time). Am preparing to burn my shirt based off a decision made earlier this year by the franchise to officially unsupport the team. Will jump on Canberra United (at a men’s level) if that ever happens, but given Andrew Barr’s re-election last night, I highly doubt that will come to fruition.
  • Grassroots: still following Hanwood from a distance in the Wagga league, and even though they are the bitter enemy, Yoogali are doing amazing things here in Canberra to keep football in Griffith on the map, so I try to head out and see the boys when I can (given quite a few of them were part of the Rhinos).
Among my other interests I may discuss in the off topic threads are almost any sport (hence the sports journalism degree), although mostly it’s just Football and Formula 1 (dabbling in other bits of Motorsport from time to time). And technically not sport (but SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT DAMMIT!), but a colleague of mine got me back into pro wrestling during the COVID breaks after about 6-7 years out too.

I’ve also developed an affinity for Thai food and BangkokBetz

Last edited:
I have joined this forum. Looking forward to a game at Suncorp with most of the stands closed off. Looking forward to some journo asking Popovic to explain his selections. Looking forward to Brattan starting many more games ahead of Nisbet.
Cheers SOO.
You won't be popular here...

Sorry, just realised you were joking.

Back