Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Introduce yourself here (again)

Yes ditto to MCG but have to say getting married or not Nothing stops you keeping an eye on the ball and contributing - get it MCG, don’t let your team mates down haha
She has to get used to it train her mate.
I got my wife playing in her 40s. Tore her achilles first season but still played ten years.

She's a season ticket holder at CCM now so it IS possible.

Oh crap, everyone is doing this seriously... OK, here goes.

Late 40s, dad, ex player and current passionate member of... well I guess I dont really need to explain that bit :P

Apart from the local football, I follow Liverpool and Panathinaikos from afar, although I have a much bigger affinity for the greens, having spent a few season watching them live (absolutely nuts atmosphere at Greek grounds - nothing can describe really) - I dont mind Serie A, Bundi and on the odd occasion laLiga. I have preferred clubs in those leagues but thats more for the sake of having a dog in the fight than rusted on support... Socceroos fan AND the Greek national team although I must admit national team support isnt to high on my list... just follow them both by default really.

Football was the family sport, surrounded by it since birth, earliest memories are playing juniors on Sunday, and then Middle Park to watch Hellas in the afternoon... surrounded by family. Spent a few years living in Greece with the family and that was an eye opener.. Soccer WAS EVERYTHING, before school, during school, in class, after school, it permeates every facet of life.

I returned to Melbourne in the late 80s just in time to see the glory years of the NSL but always wanted football to be #1 sport here and was surprised by the animosity it was shown by "mainstream Australia" .. a few "false dawns" along the way, like Perth Glory coming along, Carlton Soccer Club being really popular for a year or so, Adelaide United being announced etc.... but ultimately, with the assassination of the NSL by "he who shall not be named" my interest in the local game dissipated.

Took a long sabbatical from attending for about 6-7 years and then, about a decade ago, a few family members convinced me to come back to the old club ... been rusted back on ever since, will only miss a match if I am on my death bed or overseas on business, otherwise Im there following the boys in blue, home and way, for better or for worse.. I drag my kiddies along when I can and am proud to watch the next generation of "Hellatzides" love the game as much as the previous ones did... Id love for my club to one day be able to play for top position in Australia but am also resigned to this artificial segregation

FORZA HELLAS.

I got my wife playing in her 40s. Tore her achilles first season but still played ten years.

She's a season ticket holder at CCM now so it IS possible.
ewwww thats a heavy first time injury, great she played on once recovered, good on her.

My wife decided some years ago having been the lone soldier being a spectator to hubby and 2 sons playing - I'm going back to netball !
Hadn't played for some 10/15yrs.
2nd game did the usual in the air catch lands on "heel" she never got up a ambo was called.
There I was playing elsewhere and the sons and having finished a beer or 2 see 30missed calls.
Wife is at xyz hospital.
I'm thinking omg/wtf get there - see her in agony going through xrays.
Got told not too bad heavy bruising - endone's then panadols following days, nothing changed was in pain for days.
Go back to a GP get script for MRI, donkeys didn't do enough/angles originally at xrays, MRI showed her bone has splintered into pieces !
Christ almighty, surgery, has a mecano set keeping whats left of her heal to this day, never been the same since - retired and a ongoing spectator.
Thankfully being Portugese, she's a influenced football devotee due that CR7 comes from the same island and our fam is football football football.

She's considering joining me at golf, I'm trying not to teach/guide her mind you haha

She's considering joining me at golf, I'm trying not to teach/guide her mind you haha
Trying to talk my wife into this too: she's always saying we should go on more walks outdoors ;)
I returned to Melbourne in the late 80s just in time to see the glory years of the NSL but always wanted football to be #1 sport here and was surprised by the animosity it was shown by "mainstream Australia" .. a few "false dawns" along the way, like Perth Glory coming along, Carlton Soccer Club being really popular for a year or so, Adelaide United being announced etc.... but ultimately, with the assassination of the NSL by "he who shall not be named" my interest in the local game dissipated.
Probably not the thread for this discussion - but imagine if the "superclubs" concept (like Carlton and Collingwood and Parramatta trying to come into the NSL) was done properly with respect for our game. The concept exists in Europe quite successfully (namely between basketball and football) as you would already know.

Reactions: LFC
Trying to talk my wife into this too: she's always saying we should go on more walks outdoors ;)

Probably not the thread for this discussion - but imagine if the "superclubs" concept (like Carlton and Collingwood and Parramatta trying to come into the NSL) was done properly with respect for our game. The concept exists in Europe quite successfully (namely between basketball and football) as you would already know.
I thought, at the time, that it was a great idea... Ive said it before and Ill say it again, Carlton Soccer Club was the right "concept" just the wrong choice of AFL team and Collingwood-Bergers abomination was just doomed to failure.. Imagine if there was enough interest by the Melbourne Victory people to form a club in 1997 .. it would be a huge rivalry now and NSL wouldn't have been "euthanized"

I thought, at the time, that it was a great idea... Ive said it before and Ill say it again, Carlton Soccer Club was the right "concept" just the wrong choice of AFL team and Collingwood-Bergers abomination was just doomed to failure.. Imagine if there was enough interest by the Melbourne Victory people to form a club in 1997 .. it would be a huge rivalry now and NSL wouldn't have been "euthanized"
Yeah, you'd expect that a lot of the Carlton supporters in Melbourne would already have a football team. Would probably be more beneficial (game-wise) for one of the more 'Anglo' AFL clubs to do something.

Would have been interesting to see if Parramatta Power were to kick on after NSL ended though..

Yeah, you'd expect that a lot of the Carlton supporters in Melbourne would already have a football team. Would probably be more beneficial (game-wise) for one of the more 'Anglo' AFL clubs to do something.

Would have been interesting to see if Parramatta Power were to kick on after NSL ended though..
Lots of Parmalat tops in the crowd that first season :)

Hi guys, I've been an on- and off-again lurker of the 442 forums, and figured I'd sign up to the new forum.

By way of background, I'm from a QLD rugby league family who moved to Melbourne, I played a bit of junior football, as I was too skinny to play rugby. Then played rugby and Aussie rules through my teens and twenties (now in my thirties). I have always enjoyed football, but it's somewhat of a dirty secret following Australian sokkah in regional Victoria.

From a football perspective, I've been a fan of the A-League from season one. But primarily of the league as a whole, rather than any particular side. Currently a season member of Western United, though I did dabble in supporting Melbourne Heart before CFG came along.

Hi guys, I've been an on- and off-again lurker of the 442 forums, and figured I'd sign up to the new forum.

By way of background, I'm from a QLD rugby league family who moved to Melbourne, I played a bit of junior football, as I was too skinny to play rugby. Then played rugby and Aussie rules through my teens and twenties (now in my thirties). I have always enjoyed football, but it's somewhat of a dirty secret following Australian sokkah in regional Victoria.

From a football perspective, I've been a fan of the A-League from season one. But primarily of the league as a whole, rather than any particular side. Currently a season member of Western United, though I did dabble in supporting Melbourne Heart before CFG came along.
Welcome aboard... I was a lurker for 2-3 years before I took the plunge on the old 442 and started commenting... careful, it gets addictive ...lol

I just checked on my account on IS... I joined there 7 years ago! Time flies!
I had joined 8 years ago - but I remember it had taken me aaaaaaaages to sign up as I kept having issues. One day, it just started working, so I was a lurker for a couple years beforehand.

I had joined 8 years ago - but I remember it had taken me aaaaaaaages to sign up as I kept having issues. One day, it just started working, so I was a lurker for a couple years beforehand.
Same I was lurking back when verbeek was the coach haha

Back