Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

A-League Mens 24/25 - Round 1

WSW v Sydney FC highlights. Sydney look good this season. Costa, Klimala & Onahim are quality. Didn't get to see much of Mata but he needs to be eased in as he has played fuck all football in the past 18 months apparently.

I suppose fans like me are so rusted on they aren't worth worrying about

they could make every one play in storm trooper costumes, have phil gould the commentator, have the half time entertainment being police beating up active supporters while someone shouts obceneties about ethnics and I'd probably still keep watching to see if there are any future socceroos to look out for. Of course I'd like to be a fan for a club, but its a hard thing to manufacture
This has been the biggest problem in football in this country, we have lots of rusted on football fans, but finding a club that connects with you & getting connected is the biggest issue.

This has been the biggest problem in football in this country, we have lots of rusted on football fans, but finding a club that connects with you & getting connected is the biggest issue.
I reckon there is more of an issue of expectation in this country. Many people seem to have this expectation that any club should be able to just build 30k+ supporters in a relatively short period of time. That is easier said than done. Even WSW who had an unprecedented introduction, still had numbers drop off over time. It takes decades and decades for clubs to build support, and that is under ideal conditions (which we definitely don't have). When we look at the A-League, we are only now seeing people that have actually grown up with the A-League. Their parents may have taken them to their first game when they were aged 5 and now they are 20. That sort of generational support only happens over generations. Problem is the boardrooms all over the country keep making dumb decisions that stifles this sort of generational support.

To be honest it's hard enough watching men play the game
This and worse - even my wife says when watching tv you see the ad's for aflw or nrlw - it just doesn't compute.
Got no prob women playing sport/s but those 2 codes, like wtf, maybe its just us - nah can't be.

I reckon there is more of an issue of expectation in this country. Many people seem to have this expectation that any club should be able to just build 30k+ supporters in a relatively short period of time. That is easier said than done. Even WSW who had an unprecedented introduction, still had numbers drop off over time. It takes decades and decades for clubs to build support, and that is under ideal conditions (which we definitely don't have). When we look at the A-League, we are only now seeing people that have actually grown up with the A-League. Their parents may have taken them to their first game when they were aged 5 and now they are 20. That sort of generational support only happens over generations. Problem is the boardrooms all over the country keep making dumb decisions that stifles this sort of generational support.

What is wrong with the current crowd levels?

There are professional clubs all over the world who average 2k-10k.

Its better having 20 clubs with 5k rusted on supporters rather than 10 clubs who's averages fluctuate like crazy.

Especially with our population and football not being the number 1 sport.

What is wrong with the current crowd levels?

There are professional clubs all over the world who average 2k-10k.

Its better having 20 clubs with 5k rusted on supporters rather than 10 clubs who's averages fluctuate like crazy.

Especially with our population and football not being the number 1 sport.
Not unique enough. The rest of the world has absolutely NO IDEA, how to run football..

Yes I agree that it does take time to grow.
You see many rusted on football fans who don't follow the A-League, because they are franchised clubs or they lack community spirit etc, while I also knew many rusted on football fans during the NSL era, who also didn't follow the clubs in the NSL due to them being ethnic clubs & we weren't the right ethnics.
Many like grazorblade, who just follow the football for future Socceroos, that was what I was like with the NSL, like he is now for the A-League.

You see many rusted on football fans who don't follow the A-League, because they are franchised clubs or they lack community spirit etc, while I also knew many rusted on football fans during the NSL era, who also didn't follow the clubs in the NSL due to them being ethnic clubs & we weren't the right ethnics.
Many like grazorblade, who just follow the football for future Socceroos, that was what I was like with the NSL, like he is now for the A-League.

Think it just comes to level/standard of football. So many people don't attend for this reason where as AFL and NRL are the top levels in the world.

We are on par with league 2 (maybe slightly better) and they average 7k.

I actually believe we should follow americas model. Countries with large distances aren’t suited for promotion relegation but yeah we need more clubs
really ? I just don't get that.
Its like people over Coke to Pepsi, KFC Maccas etcetc....thats americas system.
Commodities.
Sure football is a commodity but not the same, well thats how I look at Football Clubs.
Yes today Clubs more and more are owned by ogarlords/partners, point is originally the Club were organic (putting aside AL/APL), thats the massive pull of the past....
Is the game world over going to be a Franchise system looking ahead ?
Probably at the top end, SLeague for eg.
Whats beneath won't be though.

The trouble here is the lack of pop and that 80% of the pop is east coast based AND today people expect a National comp regards to our game.
Well TBH imo this is still not sustainable due to the costs and more so the lack of commercial revenue compared to AFL/NRL.
(you only have to look at the NST still getting no where)
A east coast based comp is sustainable but most will/have scoffed at this.
A Eastern zone ie Syd/Mel/Bris - can add in other regions such as Canbra, mid north NSW coast etc
Have SA/WA/NT have the Western Zone.
Then you can have a Series Play Off top 3/4 to GF.
Anything is better than a Franchise/merican system.

Looks like the APL is now wanting to pivot and "funnel" their fans into club support .. great initiative in my opinion. Why not let every single football fan in Australia engage with football through the club of his/her choice?

Think it just comes to level/standard of football. So many people don't attend for this reason where as AFL and NRL are the top levels in the world.

We are on par with league 2 (maybe slightly better) and they average 7k.
yeah that is issue with most countries around the world, where they don't have the highest level (outside of England, Germany, Spain & Italy) & they have no issues having local clubs, look at Scotland, Yes rusted on many years. Both AFL & NRL are top levels only because there is no other competitions around the world.

really ? I just don't get that.
Its like people over Coke to Pepsi, KFC Maccas etcetc....thats americas system.
Commodities.
Sure football is a commodity but not the same, well thats how I look at Football Clubs.
Yes today Clubs more and more are owned by ogarlords/partners, point is originally the Club were organic (putting aside AL/APL), thats the massive pull of the past....
Is the game world over going to be a Franchise system looking ahead ?
Probably at the top end, SLeague for eg.
Whats beneath won't be though.

The trouble here is the lack of pop and that 80% of the pop is east coast based AND today people expect a National comp regards to our game.
Well TBH imo this is still not sustainable due to the costs and more so the lack of commercial revenue compared to AFL/NRL.
(you only have to look at the NST still getting no where)
A east coast based comp is sustainable but most will/have scoffed at this.
A Eastern zone ie Syd/Mel/Bris - can add in other regions such as Canbra, mid north NSW coast etc
Have SA/WA/NT have the Western Zone.
Then you can have a Series Play Off top 3/4 to GF.
Anything is better than a Franchise/merican system.
I just meant in terms of promotion relegation. I’m not too sure about the conference stuff

I just meant in terms of promotion relegation. I’m not too sure about the conference stuff
ah ok, hard to read between the lines.
I prob went off on a tanget what spins out from top of my head due to the long sufferance of us/our game overall continuing being in "lalaland" right through top to bottom still in 2024.
Like some here us ol blokes, been around a long time waiting waiting we finally have something that ticks most box's having a directive moving forward.
As it is is not good enough - disjointed.
P/R H/A is my wish for all Clubs - how its set up ? east coast west coast, something that can work on sniff of a rag and chance to grow.
WTF is it so hard to get somewhere..

yeah that is issue with most countries around the world, where they don't have the highest level (outside of England, Germany, Spain & Italy) & they have no issues having local clubs, look at Scotland, Yes rusted on many years. Both AFL & NRL are top levels only because there is no other competitions around the world.
No issues supporting local clubs because there are no other major sports.

No issues supporting local clubs because there are no other major sports.
We have a massive number of participants in local football clubs in Australia in fact more participants than some countrie's WHOLE populations that manage to have vibrant football pyramids... they don's seem to "hide behind" the other sports....

Looks like the APL is now wanting to pivot and "funnel" their fans into club support .. great initiative in my opinion. Why not let every single football fan in Australia engage with football through the club of his/her choice?

Well I suppose Tik Tok is cheaper than spend 30 million dollars on the Keepup thing. :LOL:

Back