Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

A-League Mens 24/25 - Round 1

What are the reasons for shortened seasons?

33 matches with everyone playing each other 3 times would be good. I get the home and away imbalance against certain opposition but you've got sports like the NFL where the rotations can see one season look really tough and the next quite light.

There would need to be some travel considerations such as Perth playing Friday against Newcastle and then Sydney maybe a midweek night.

With teams taking some games so far away from their home, would neutral grounds for part of the final 3rd of matches be so bad? Say, CCM and Adelaide go over to both play Perth but then play each other in Perth 4 days later?
I think it might be that every game runs at a loss due to stadium hire and travel. Was presumably a problem in the nsl era too since they had short seasons?

Couple of issues with this.

-With 13 teams, 3 times around would be 36 games played by each team. The number of rounds with
3 times around would be 39, noting the uneven teams requires byes.

-After the league goes above 30 rounds in the past the league has had issues with viewership retention.
Yeah crowds were biggest when we had a 22 round season. I kinda think it is worth it to just bite the bullet and have a longer season as well as a home and away youth league. It will be worse at first, but if the standard improves it might improve crowds in the long run

I'll also add player develop was a issue back in the Y-league days because of the lack of match play. It's a major reason why they scrapped it and moved club youth structures in to the NPL. Which I personally believe is the reason why we are seeing so many youth progressing through the academies now. Big difference between playing 24 games against boys and 30 games against men).

The problem with the Aleague is it's a little bit more difficult to extend the league just for the sake of development without having the financial incentive to do so.
Id love to have a nyl and npl teams, one poster pointed out that u learn different things playing the best boys vs men. I was also interested in some data i saw by a melbourne consulting firm that convinced me that a proper length nyl makes a difference.

At the moment if u lose your place in the npl off season it is hard to improve

-With 13 teams, 3 times around would be 36 games played by each team. The number of rounds with

-After the league goes above 30 rounds in the past the league has had issues with viewership retention.
Good insights. A few more clubs and we're starting to get closer to a more rounded full season.

C
Good insights. A few more clubs and we're starting to get closer to a more rounded full season.

I believe the APL will push to get to 16 teams (I have nothing that says they will). Just a nice round number.

Agree. And there's also the broadcaster angle, they don't want to pay for anything that goes up against AFL/NRL.

I wonder if we got to 18 teams whether we could fit that season into 30 weeks. Would only be four mid-week matches, they do plenty more than that in the rest of the world's leagues. It's more rounds which might lose some viewers, but 18 teams is probably a necessity on the way to pro/rel with a connected pyramid.

What do we have remaining? Canberra, Tasmania, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Townsville, Christchurch, promoted NST teams... I'm getting off track haha.

Agree. And there's also the broadcaster angle, they don't want to pay for anything that goes up against AFL/NRL.

I wonder if we got to 18 teams whether we could fit that season into 30 weeks. Would only be four mid-week matches, they do plenty more than that in the rest of the world's leagues. It's more rounds which might lose some viewers, but 18 teams is probably a necessity on the way to pro/rel with a connected pyramid.

What do we have remaining? Canberra, Tasmania, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Townsville, Christchurch, promoted NST teams... I'm getting off track haha.
Now the big bash is on im curious if there is any drop any more once the other codes start. I havent noticed one the last few seasons?

I didn't realise Big Bash only starts in December and lasts one month! I really thought it was longer.
What they do well is they go hard on the 'limited time only' idea and get lots of families in during the holidays.

Football needs more matches and there's still something of a fan fatigue the longer things go. Hannover can become a bit like that come March April.

The sport is missed when summer hits.

I honestly don't get it. It's a nonsense comp that means nothing. I don't bag anyone who enjoys it though, I just quietly think less of them hahaha. I'm a test cricket and 50 over World Cup fan.
As a neutral watching test cricket is the most boring thing in the world though

As a neutral watching test cricket is the most boring thing in the world though
Totally understandable. And that's why I keep my mouth shut about Big Bash haha. Real sport vs entertainment only. It's glorified backyard cricket.

I honestly don't get it. It's a nonsense comp that means nothing. I don't bag anyone who enjoys it though, I just quietly think less of them hahaha. I'm a test cricket and 50 over World Cup fan.
Yeah only watch the occasional game and im mostly looking for young players who show promise

Totally understandable. And that's why I keep my mouth shut about Big Bash haha. Real sport vs entertainment only. It's glorified backyard cricket.
And the freshly re-elected ACT Chief Minister wants to throw $3m a year at one month of Big Bash, rather than fund football..

What are the reasons for shortened seasons?

33 matches with everyone playing each other 3 times would be good. I get the home and away imbalance against certain opposition but you've got sports like the NFL where the rotations can see one season look really tough and the next quite light.

There would need to be some travel considerations such as Perth playing Friday against Newcastle and then Sydney maybe a midweek night.

With teams taking some games so far away from their home, would neutral grounds for part of the final 3rd of matches be so bad? Say, CCM and Adelaide go over to both play Perth but then play each other in Perth 4 days later?

I think 30 games and 16 teams is the right number. Anything more than 30 games means you’d have to play a bunch of midweek games. Midweek games have been poorly attended in the past and needs to be avoided at all costs.

Back